TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Do the struts move at the hat on audi tt mk1?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do the struts move at the hat on audi tt mk1?

I turn the wheel fully left or right and when I open the hood the hat of the strut left or 4ight has shifted back and in towards windshield. Is this normal for struts to have some play?
Old 03-10-2019, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I've read that the front upper mounts go bad on these cars, i'm not sure if that's your problem though. I've never heard of play in a strut mount to be normal, but i've never done struts on an audi. I don't know much about these cars, but i've done a lot of suspension work.

If there's play that's noticable you should probably fix it asap. I do remember doing a caster sweep on alignment machines, but I never looked to see how much it changed the top of the strut while maxed out. I'm curious as to what the answer is.
Old 03-10-2019, 08:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If I remember correctly, the strut mounts are the same as used on Mk.4 Golfs & Jettas, hence as they are meant for everyday drivers, they will wear sooner on TTs if you stress them with regularity. Denser strut mounts are available. From VAG, Cupra R mounts are imported by a few online shops, and (can't remember who, but you can Google it) a couple of aftermarket suppliers also sell even denser mounts for street and track application. Check with ECS and Google.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

There is a strut bearing under the bushing. Sounds like yours has seized. Not uncommon. As stated same parts as Mk4 Golf or Beetle.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The strut mounts are old and deformed worn out and probably allowing the struts to move out of alignment. I think I'll replace them or get coilovers.