TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Does the '00 TT come with ESP?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2002, 02:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine has it....A no brainer at $800..
Old 10-24-2002, 04:49 AM
Elder Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plenty . . .

Drive the car where the ESP has to kick in and feel ESP bring the car to its knees. The car does not have enough power to get out of its own way. ANY emergency maneuver that requires you to abruptly toss the car from side to side, make a sharp turn. Anything that in any other car, or even the same TT without ESP would accomplish without even a hint of being dangerous and the ESP equipped car will do it slower and putting the driver and passengers in harms way.

Go do a search and you will find many, many instances where people have clearly stated that they had to change lanes and the car seemed to slow down and they came very close to an accident because the car lost power. I have been reading these stories since the ESP was retrofitted to the cars and began coming standard.

How many TT owners do you know that the first thing they do after starting the car is slapping the ESP button to turn it off? Everyone I know and I have driven with LOTS of TT owners.

Take your car and try to do a U turn at anything above 15mph. Feel the car almost totally shut down as the oncoming traffic that 30 seconds before was far enough away where you could safely perform this maneuver, now you are taking your life into your hands because the car won't move fast enough. When this happens, remember to reach up and slap the ESP button off so you get back everything that ESP took away.

I have done the same exact maneuvers in a few different makes/models of car with an ESP type of system and none of them, I repeat NONE of them cuts the power the way the Audi system does. I have heard A4 and S4 owners complaining about the same thing. I have talked to A8 owners that have told me they can't stand the ESP because it slows the car too much.

Is that enough of an elaboration?
Old 10-24-2002, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Actually, ESP has saved me a few times

I trust it. There have been a few situations with wet or snowy roads where I am sure I would have flown off the road without it. Not that I am a careless or incompetent driver by any means, but I have unexpectedly hit puddles at 60 mph, and felt it kick in a straighten out the car. I think it does its job pretty well.