TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Does the TT look like the New Beetle (kinda long)?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-1999, 10:50 AM
PaTT

Default Does the TT look like the New Beetle (kinda long)?

So this morning I had to go down to my client's office. I'm not normally paranoid about where I park the TT, but this parking garage has really small spaces and lots of idiots who don't care about door dings. So I purposely parked in a far-off section of the garage where no one else was.

Obviously, I was a little po'ed when I came back out to see that someone had chosen from the 20-30 empty spots in that section to park right next to my TT. How rude! But then I got closer and realized that the offender was a New Beetle. It dawned on me that they might have parked there on purpose...

So on to my point: the direct, side-by-side comparison nearly short circuited my feeble mind. I stood still just processing what I was seeing for a while. How can two things look so alike and so different at the same time? The red Beetle next to the grey TT further increased the contrast. I really wish I'd had a camera, cause it was a kind of cool sight. The people who say "looks like a Beetle" are both right and wrong at the same time!

Next time you guys see a Beetle, take time to park next to it, get out and walk around both. I think you'll be freaked out, too. Or maybe I'm just insane.
Old 12-22-1999, 10:59 AM
dt

Default Re: Does the TT look like the New Beetle (kinda long)?

recently parked my silver ttq next to a new silver bug ... like lookin at my baby in a fun house mirror.
Old 12-22-1999, 11:04 AM
tks

Default I still must be missing something....

I've parked my silver TT next to a silver new beetle, except for the paint and a few soft exterior lines, I see little resemblance. I'm sure it has to do with my own bias.....geez, I thought I was getting over that.
Old 12-22-1999, 11:15 AM
Joe

You're right. At a quick glance, they "feel" similar, despite all their diffierences. nt
Old 12-22-1999, 11:18 AM
Joe

Default Actually, the cars that end up next to me are a BIG source of amusement with the car (more)

New Beetles, and especially other Audi's seem to have a magnetic attraction to the TT in lots. I usually park farther out from the densest areas, and every time I return to the car it seems like I have a New Beetle, an A-something, or even a 328i next to me.

Sort of makes you want to say "Guten Tag" out loud.

(And suddenly my car is in a good mood today. Took a spin at lunch and it actually felt peppy.)
Old 12-22-1999, 11:22 AM
Cliff

Yeah, Joe, but what did you have to drink at lunch? )
Old 12-22-1999, 11:27 AM
Joe

K, so I -did- stop at the liquor store. But it was only for gifts, for the 'rents. Honest!
Old 12-22-1999, 12:08 PM
Jim Torngo

Default There is a family resemblance and it think it is intentional- more

My Dad bought a new VW beetle in 1959 for my Mom to drive; bright red. When I saw my first Porsche (I later figured out it was a 356) I was riding with my Farther. I asked "what kind of car is that", and he said "it's an expensive VW". As we all know these cars shared a lot of mechanical parts incuding the engine (ther were minor differences in the motors). Porsche VW and Audi have a history that intertwines and overlaps in many ineresting ways. History is now repeating itself in a great sense, the TT does look similar to the new Beetle, itself a very good looking car. Audi management knew what they were doing,it's no accident. We can only quess if the TT will go on to have the long and storied life of the Porsche 356/911 cars, but one things for sure, it's off to a good start. JIM
Old 12-22-1999, 12:47 PM
BrenTT

Default Re: Does the TT look like the New Beetle (kinda long)?

Well the TT's designer, Freeman Thomas, also worked on the design of Concept One, later known as the "New Beetle". I may be mistaken, but I think Mr. Thomas actually drafted the first sketch of Concept One. So it is not a coincidence. You ever notice similiarities between Dali's and Picasso's work from the same periods? The New Beetle's design has also been critically acclaimed so it is nothing to be ashamed of being compared to. Now if they were comparing it to an AMC Pacer...

-Brent
Old 12-22-1999, 12:56 PM
AkRascal

Default You wanna freak out park it next to a 356!!!

and then imagine that the 356 has no bumpers

Quick Reply: Does the TT look like the New Beetle (kinda long)?