TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Elusive front end pop. OSAG you out there?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts
Default Elusive front end pop. OSAG you out there?

Chris (and others) After replacing control arm bushings (Defcon 2, yes I like them) ball joints, tie rods inner and outer, strut bushings and bearings, sway bar links, and front struts (Koni sport, I like those too) I have a better than ever handling TT ----BUT, I still have that elusive pop in the front end when turning full lock and moving slowly or reversing direction. Was doing some searching of forum and found a discussion of wheel bearings correcting a similar noise. OSAG you had a post in this thread. As I think this over, While my noise does not at all sound like a rotational noise like a bearing, It does sound like slack somewhere being released from some tension. When the front end is turned to extreem angle on most all suspensions the geometry gets off and wheels are not pointed exactly right and one usually runs at a high slip angle during these low speed manuvers. I wonder if our elusive pop could indeed be due to a tire shuffling sideways and releasing tension on a wheel bearing with greater than spec runout???? This would explain why the pop cannot be duplicated with the vehicle stationary. It must be rolling slowly to build these sideward loads. I don't have Bentley in this computer . Is wheel bearing play adjustable ? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CV joint???

Had a problem that sounds similar with a civic years ago
Old 08-27-2007, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Subframe bolts?

Try tightening them..
Old 08-27-2007, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Possible, but it is always just one clunk as the wheels turn over to full lock.

Noise does not repeat itself as you drive in a circle.(no indication of a rotational part failing) Only happens AS you turn the steering to full lock. Does happen on both sides of car. Noise always occurs on side that I am turning toward. (inside of turn)

FWIW it only happens once in a while and makes no difference in the way the car drives of course. It has been ther for at least 20,000 miles with little or no change. Just bugs me that I can't figure out what it is.

Thanks for your input.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks Schwing, Did that first.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:32 AM

def not CV joint then. Good luck.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Maybe the strut bushing

Had something similar, maybe 2 pops... if you can get someone in the car, you get under the hood, and have them turn back and forth and listen and watch near the strut bushings up top. The rubber was popping in and out of place.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:54 AM

Default I have had the same thing for years (since new) ...

replaced strut bushings and bearings several times; replaced tie rods and ball joints, also. Still does it. Audi dealer doesn't have a clue.
Did it before and after lowering.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:38 AM

Default I'll toss in a guess from left field: Bushings on your brake calipers....

If you keep the brakes applied can you duplicate the noise? I can see a binding in those slides reproducing the noise you are describing.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I have the same EXACT thing going on >

And now that you bring up wheel bearing you might be on to something!

I don't recall when my noise started but I think it was around the time when I had my left front bearing changed.

Have you ever changed a bearing? if not then its probably something else.

Again the sound i get is like a big rubber thing popping or releasing. happens to me about twice a day, once when turning into my drivway as ai leave and once when i leave work and im backing out of my parking spot and straightn my wheel again.

Quick Reply: Elusive front end pop. OSAG you out there?