TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

ESP came on at 120+mph....save me or potentially kill me?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2001, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESP came on at 120+mph....save me or potentially kill me?

A couple of days ago I opened up my TT for the first time after the ESP retrofit.

It was about 6:30 Sunday morning. Highway virtually empty.

The place where the ESP turned on was a turn is a decline right turn. The light come on when I was about 120mph. I did this turn a couple of times at this kind of speed before, only this time, my tires were getting low and I now have ESP.

The thing that popped into my head was, ESP is engaging my brakes and I'm going to lose control over my car(Read: No braking in a fast turn) and fishtail into a wall or do cartwheels on the highway. None of that happened. Matter of fact, I felt nothing. The light turned off after the turn.

Did ESP saved me from a potentially killing myself? If the speeds were faster or a different turn, would the scenario be different? Who knows.
Old 01-02-2001, 10:01 AM

Default IMO, it saved you. You might reconsider...

your decision to go that fast in that area if ESP computer detected slip which you didn't.

No offense, but the ESP may be a better at-the-limit "driver" than you are.

I would treat that ESP light as a gentle reminder.
"No braking in a fast turn" tells me you could benefit from a one-day (minimum) high performance driving school.

BTW: ESP brakes individual wheels as necessary, which is something you can't do.

My $.02.
Old 01-02-2001, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: ESP came on at 120+mph....save me or potentially kill me?

I think ESP saved you. You know it is a very different act to break in the corner as you break all the wheels together. But ESP breaks only if you loose grip and only to the wheels needed. Hope I know correct. BesTT.
Old 01-02-2001, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I been to my fair share of track days, performance schools, advance driving, etc.........

You simply can not use your brakes when your at that speed and in a wide turn.
I have been on a track enough times to know you can't take your foot off the accel. in any kind of turn, let alone use your brakes.

I know at speeds at 40mph-50mph, ESP helps, but does it help at 120+?
Old 01-02-2001, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I agree with smallTTs here.

When ESP uses the brakes, it brakes one wheel at a time...The one that needs brakes to keep you from fishtailing, etc. Now, I haven't taken any turns at 120mph, but I've gone out in the snow to learn what ESP does and how the car will react to different situations where ESP would come on. If I'm driving near the limit of traction and start to actually lose traction, ESP always brings the car back under control. If you ever have an opportunity to take your ESP-equipped car to an empty parking lot, I would highly recommend that you do it. Learn what the car is going to do in a slide so it doesn't catch you by surprise when it corrects itself.

ESP may not have "saved" you in your situation, but it certainly didn't try to kill you. Heh.
Old 01-02-2001, 10:35 AM

Default What do you think is going to happen?

Maybe you should redo the test at higher and higher speeds until you do cartwheel your TT. Just try and not take out anybody else in the process.
Sorry I just can't relate here because no matter how you slice it, you can't do those speeds safely on a public road (too many unknown variables).
Old 01-02-2001, 10:53 AM

Default Oh yes. No offense, JC, but ...

in my opinion, the "judgment" part of the performance schools you attended didn't take.
I'm not trying to p*** you off, but I am concerned for your butt. Ego can be deadly.

You appear to be the reason Mk II and ESP was added by Audi.

Drive smart...stay around the forum.
Old 01-02-2001, 11:23 AM

Default The edge is razor thin and dangerous to one prone to mishap, Grasshopper.....

drive smart....stick around the forum. :-)
Old 01-02-2001, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I assure you it isn't a habit.

But when there is a open road and not a soul in sight.... Just couldn't resist. I wasn't testing my ESP, just stretching my legs.
Old 01-02-2001, 11:39 AM

Default Re: Oh yes. No offense, JC, but ...

This is the hazard of electronics. We can get in over your head so easily. We must still think and drive appropriate for the conditions, road and skills.

Please do stay alive!!

Quick Reply: ESP came on at 120+mph....save me or potentially kill me?