TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Expected maintenance on '01 225, 75k

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Expected maintenance on '01 225, 75k

My mom has an '01 225 Coupe that she has owned since new. It has been pretty reliable, but it reaching the age/mileage (75k) where major things start to need replacing. She is about to have all four brakes done and I'm wondering if now might be a good time to move on to a newer car.

She is hoping to keep the car another 3yrs/20k or so. I fear a timing belt and turbo replacement would be in order but am not sure, just a guess... am I right? How much would this cost at a dealer and what items are likely to need service in this time?

Background: the car is mostly driven to her work and back, ~20 miles mostly highway each way. She doesn't drive it that hard, but not like a grandma either. Unfortunately, she wants to stick with the dealer for service... she's one of those "only buys new cars and only services at the dealer" types, although she is considering CPO for her next car.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Maint on '01 225

Since she wants to stick with Stealer for maint whatever Audi recomends at that milage and she will get the "free" timing belt inspection. She almost certainly will fail that inspection, regardless REPLACE THE TIMING BELT! The turbos are strong with many strongly driven cars at 100k+ on original turbos.
Now price ..... the stealer prices are all over the map, get a quote but dont be suprised at 2k from a dealer. A good indy shop maybe half that depending on your area of the country.
Hope this helps ;-)
Old 04-18-2009, 08:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hybdraulic tensioner
water pump
timing belt
Spark plugs if not done already
Pressurize intake to check for vacuum leaks and fix all

inspect control arm bushings
and sway bar links
Old 04-18-2009, 08:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Becareful of the free inspection. If they rush it, they can cause the inspection cover to cut in to the belt on reinstall. Happened to me.

The stealer ship won't tell you either if this happens
Old 04-19-2009, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by eddierocks16
Hybdraulic tensioner
water pump
timing belt
Spark plugs if not done already
Pressurize intake to check for vacuum leaks and fix all

inspect control arm bushings
and sway bar links
About how much would these cost at a dealer? Thanks.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Labor cost no idea but I wouldn't put it buy for a stealership to say $1700

I would check around for local shops to do the work.

Part cost

Hydraulic Tensioner = $155
water pump = $100 after $50 core is taken off
Timing belt $70

Dealers don't do pressurized vacuum leak test, but the Engineering prototyping garages do. Especially before a car is tuned for emissions.

Suspension inspections are always free. Any time your car goes to a dealer they are like crack heads looking for money on stuff to be replaced.

I forgot to mention your at the mileage, you should be needing rear brakes soon. I would get all brake parts from tirerack.com, then have a local shop do the brakes with a fluid flush. Tirerack carries Brembo and ATE Rotors now. Akebono euro rotors won't dust like a **** and are very quiet. ATE rotors are better than brembo plus ATE is the oem manufacturing of Audi rotors, ATE is a division of Continental.

When the auto manufactures had output reduced by 75%. Parts suppliers such as conti started a new division to sell parts. But these parts are better than oem because they don't have to deal with the request for cheap parts. ATE rotors are oem with a proper wear gauge and high temp corrosion resistant coating.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:48 PM

Thanks a lot for the advice. She is getting all four brakes done soon. I mentioned these things to her and she will probably keep the car another 3 years... can't really afford something newer that is still sporty and somewhat refined. She still likes the car so it's all good. Thanks again!