TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

fmic kit with hard pipes? (i know someone has one, but i don't know if its a 'kit')

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2003, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fmic kit with hard pipes? (i know someone has one, but i don't know if its a 'kit')

i forget who it is that has this setup... but theres a handful of them...

does anyone make a kit with hard pipes?

or do i have to buy a core and then go to a shop with a mandrel bender?

HUGE spearco bar/plate cores (w/ NICE endtanks) go for like $350-400 on ebay... and then the cost of the pipes... probably about the same or less than the cost of the current kits with silicone pipes... but i'd get a bigger/more efficient core, and better flow from the hard pipes... not to mention i could keep my 'aliens'...

plus i could have a flange put on for my greddy Type S for easy relocation to 'near' TB... and i could have bungs welded on for water/alki injection...
Old 08-27-2003, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Quattrings did this....sold his system to Bluheaven.......

I don't know if Dani has this mounted yet or not... No one makes hard piping for the commonly available FMIC's....It would all have to be custom. I looked into it once and it was gonna be big$$$. Samco's are so good, i really don't see any benefit.....
Old 08-27-2003, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Its mounted.... on a box in my living room lol

its been sitting there since I got it!!I have no clue how long it will be till I put it on either....
Old 08-27-2003, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

wow, that looks perferct! let me know if you want to get it out of the living room
Old 08-27-2003, 08:37 PM

Default the way to do hardpiping...

is to prototype them with U-pipes. cut em down, weld em together, then send em to a mandrel bending shop (i can recommend one in socal) to get bent. once done, make sure you get the pipe ends swaged. i'd get em chromed too (honestly).

if you dont have access or the skills to weld, you could probably get by with aluminum U-pipes (burns stainless, but expen$ive, do a google search) and JB weld or metal epoxy. could even go one rank more ghetto and do PVC i suppose...

my experience was that when hardpiping it made it more difficult to keep the aliens, but dunno bout quattrings, and i suppose it is setup dependent.

bigger isnt always better on FMICs too, so make sure you do your flow calculations. the ebay spearcos are often way too big.

you heard the greddy type S before? i really dislike that thing, hehe, but that is mho.
Old 08-27-2003, 09:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Once you get it on, you'll wonder why you waited so long
Old 08-28-2003, 03:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default i literally drool every time i browse your fotki...

and re: the greddy... its on the car now... i had it on my last car, and swapped it over when i got this one...

it was REALLY loud on my last car, and i could see why you wouldn't like it... for some reason, on the TT its fairly quiet... maybe its because i'm not running as much boost yet...