TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Friday ....."NOT so funny!"

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2001, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Friday ....."NOT so funny!"

Yesterday I visited my local Audi dealership for four minor warranty repairs.

I won't mention the dealership name to protect this employee.(Although I have noted this service department in other posts.)

Anyway, amazingly all went well. However, when I was waiting at the service desk, I was standing back and around the corner about three paces so as not to be rude to another customer dropping off his A-8. This gentleman asked the service manager, "Please tell me, If you had your choice between a TT and a Boxter, which would you own yourself." His answer was a definate: "Boxter!"

When he was further asked why, he quietly muttered: (trying not to be heard) "TTs have too many problems."

Anyway, he then saw me and said, with a gulp, "You may get your keys and paperwork from the lady around the corner."

I'm a little dismayed, given every time I ask about a certain problem mentoned on this forum,
they always deny any such problem exists with TTs(i.e. 180 tranny grind 1st to 2nd, window motors, D.V.,poor qualityShocks, blowtenza tires,etc.)

Any insights, comments, etc.

(See next post for related topic!)
Old 08-24-2001, 07:43 AM

Default Umm, so far so good but I do seem to feel that 180 tranny grind 1st to 2nd,

sometimes. Besides the seats starting to fade at 1300 miles and the 1st gear being a pig with the A/C on the car is great.

I hope I did not speak to soon..... Also this is my second car and I do not drive it everyday, so I guess that everyday wear and tear may lead to other issues.

2001 180 TTC FWD
Audio/Prem
K&N Filter
BB w/ E int.
Old 08-24-2001, 08:06 AM

Default re: the attitude: not surprising, just sad, annoying, irritating, etc.

I guess it's too bad when people in any walk of life are unwilling to accept responsibility for problems but are happy to take credit when things go well...
Seems to happen all the time nowadays, as companies deny blame for anything that might open them up to liability claims (i.e., $$$$$). Maybe understandable, but it's still devious and immoral :-(

On the positive side, I don't see that the TT has that many serious problems. It seems to have more minor ones than it deserves, but they are mostly easily resolved (or they would be if Audi would ever supply a decent DV ;-)

As for the service guy who would rather have a Boxster than a TT, I wonder if he has hung around the corner at the Porsche service dept. to hear what car they'd rather have. You never know...
Old 08-24-2001, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have one of the oldest TTs in NA and at over 30,000 miles my fwd does not grind nor do I have any

...other real issues save the shelf rattle which is gone because the shelf is gone. The tires are not an Audi issue and I'm on PP SO2s and like them. My gauges have gone away once and I lost the audio display once but pulling 11 & 15 fuses fixed the problem and it has not returned. A comment like the one the Tech made is not what we want to hear, does he really know both cars that well, who knows. I am aware of Boxster issues that are not minor so what can you say. The TT is a TT and the Boxster is a Boxster, they a both great well built cars but different. I see the TT as a car with very high build quality, and I look at cars as someone who works on all aspects of cars, so for my part I am quite happy. I have had other VAG cars with the same basic trans as the FWD TT. I think the problem with them often starts when a forced high rpm quick shift goes wrong. These cars are NOT darg racers and the gear boxes are not set up for this kind for driving. I think once you screw up your synchros you will have a problem. These gear boxes are sensitive to clutch engagement disengagement points and you better not be starting or finishing at the wrong time. Hey that's the way it is just learn to manage it and you may not have any problems (like me). One big advangae a FWD coupe has is weight, that means brakes, clutch, tires and shocks last longer and the car is quicker. A 225R is heavy and if you keep dumping the clutch at 5000rpm you may just explode your clutch, more weight wants to stay where it is. I think the TTs are all great cars and I arrive at this on my own, I have been on the Forum a while and have read about all the problems, I don't see the TT as more trouble prone than any other car. JIM
Old 08-24-2001, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Wow. Well said.
Old 08-24-2001, 09:00 AM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In total agreement.
Old 08-24-2001, 09:02 AM

You should buy a lotto ticket and share with us that have had problems!
Old 08-24-2001, 09:05 AM

This is a Porsche/Audi dealership! I think he knows...
Old 08-24-2001, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Or You should buy a lotto ticket and share with me as you have had problems so you luck is delta.
Old 08-24-2001, 09:24 AM
tks

Default Ditto..had my FWD TT for over 2 years (18,000 miles) and I don't grind.

That is not to say I haven't experienced any problems. Instrument cluster replaced and, currently a recurring "check engine" light. However, every dealership/serivce contact I've had is professional, honest and leaves me with the impression that they (service) really want to solve my problem and satisfy me.

Quick Reply: Friday ....."NOT so funny!"