TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Fuel sender shortage?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2001, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel sender shortage?

I've been having a problem with my fuel gauge since the day I picked up my TT. The fuel computer tells me I have <25 (or some other random small number) so I head to my local gas station. Regardless of how many miles I've driven, I can never get more than 10 gallons of gas in the tank. Since the tank is supposed to hold 15 gallons, I'd call that a problem.

It's not a major problem, because it guarantees that I won't run out of gas. But given how much we've all paid for these things, they should work correctly out of the box. So.... when I took the car in for the 5000 mile oil change I asked to have a new sensor put in. My service manager told me they didn't have the part in stock and they would call me when it came in.

That was November.

I called him last week to ask why he'd not called me. He said the part was in, when would I like to to come by. I was annoyed. Anyway, when I got there, he told me that it was good I'd "reserved" my part since he had two other cars on the lot that were also waiting for that same part-- claimed they were backordered.

Today he called me and told me that the part he had was, in fact, the wrong one. Since he already had my car disassembled, he wants to keep the car and wait for the part.

Is there really a shortage of fuel senders?

My rental is fabulous. A Toyota Camry. They offered me a Chrysler Sebring convertible. I laughed, since I can't imagine driving that after my TTR.