TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

FYI: The cause of the loss of clutch pedal travel on my TT...

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2002, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FYI: The cause of the loss of clutch pedal travel on my TT...

My clutch pedal started to feel funny. The first 2/3 of travel did nothing. There was no resistance. The last 1/3 would disengage the clutch. The pedal would not return to it's normal position. I would have to use my foot to bring it back. However, the clutch worked fine.

I tried to check fluid for the master, but could not find it. I thought it might be a broken spring, but sometimes the pedal would return to it normal position (but still the last 1/3 of travel was all that had resistance.

I took it to the dealer yesterday. Today, they said they have to replace the clutch. They said there is no adjustment on the pedal. I think the dealer said something about a throw out over the phone. I will see what it was when I pick up the paper work, and report it to you guys.

I haven't seen much about clutch problems on the forum. Note: I am not hard on the clutch. I always engage it between 1-2000rpm.
Old 12-03-2002, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hmmm, had similar issues with mine awhile back...

For the majority of the travel the pedal felt very light, almost no resistance at all. Towards the end of the travel it felt normal. As you say, the engagement point felt about the same, just the pedal felt different. At my 20k service I mentioned it and was told it was normal(shocker) but when I got the car back it was back to normal. Didn't see any parts listed that may have been used to fix so I'm assuming they just bled something(sorry, I'm a computer guy not a car guy Anyway, has stayed mostly the same since then.
Old 12-03-2002, 06:59 PM

Default I have had continuing problems with my clutch pedal.

On some cold mornings my clutch sinks to the floor where it will stay until I pull it back up. Once back up it is unsually normal the rest of the day. Of course my service guys after two years with this problem don't have a clue and are unwilling to replace anything.

-Craig
Old 12-04-2002, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default My pedal "is light" too... Gets worse in extended bumper to bumper traffic.

I have bled the clutch and so has the dealer. It feels better, however I suspect the pressure plate is getting weak. I have too much free play and a very light pedal. Dealer says "it's normal" It's not.