TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

GIAC chipping help...

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GIAC chipping help...

Hi all,

This is almost my first time posting with an actual question. I have been lurking around here for about the last month since I bought my 2000 Audi TT 180hp Quattro. I have been loving the car. It is so much fun to drive. This is a great site to get alot of useful information.

I have been looking at adding a performance chip to the ECU of my car. A guy I know recently totaled an Audi 2000 TT 180. Same as mine. He is looking at selling me his chip.

His chip is tuned for ECU # 8N0906018A

My ECU is # 8N0906018S

Just the last digit is different. He bought the chip at Eurotech in Atlanta, GA. I called down there to see if it was possible to program this chip for my car. He said yes, but made it seem like it was a very big deal and even tried to sell me a new chip.

I next called AWE tuning up here in PA. I talked with the tech who said that the chip was not compatable with my car b/c of the different ECU numbers.

Now I have two different answers from what I thought to be reputable dealers. Who is right?

The guy at Eurotech said that I would have to send my ECU to him. He would put in a flash loader and then reprogram the chip that I would buy to work for my car and install it. That doesn't sound too bad. How much do you think all of this should cost?

I am still very new with all of these performance chip things, so when he told me all of this, I think it went right over my head.
What do you guys think? Is this doable? Is it worth it? I am trying to get the chip for about $150.

What would you guys do if you were in my situation? Also, are these engines built to handle the extra workload that a chip would place on it? I'm not going to be hurting my engine, am I?

Thanks for putting up with all of my questions guys.

Tadd