TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Had some exhaust work done today... didn't fix the issues.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had some exhaust work done today... didn't fix the issues.

Sorry my iphone isnt letting me upload photos...

Been having issues (read below) with the exhaust smell in the cabin (loose DP, 42dd) so I took it to an exhaust shop and had them tighten everything up, replace mid section gaskets and cut the 2.5 reducer flange out and weld in a straight 3 - 2.75 pipe to the blueflame. Everything is straight through solid now. Couldn't replace the DP to Mani gasket since I did not have one, but confirmed the bolts were loose and we tightened them really well.

My issue though may be boost, may not be boost, not sure. I am getting extreme fluttering out at about 17 psi. I thought maybe the exhaust problems were causing the problem. Is it possible my mani-exhaust gaskets is bad? I remember having to replace mine on the GTI back in the day for a similiar issue. I still have a slight exhaust smell but not near what it was.

Or do you think I am dealing with an elusive boost issue? Anyone in the DC area have a boost tester? If not I may be ordering one from steve!
Old 04-26-2008, 11:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

i would check for leaks....i found one today when i pulled my manifold off to do the EGR block plate
Old 04-27-2008, 05:23 AM
Rest In Peace

Default double check your o2 sensor >>>

on the downpipe....mine leaked slightly....needed to be snugged up.....
The other possibility is that the flex pipe is bent just a bit and leaking.....

Did you use some good exhaust sealer on the flanges with the gaskets?
Old 04-27-2008, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default No exhaust sealer, just the gaskets. I think the whole thing needs to come off and be redone >

I didn't even think to check the o2 sensor. Will get it on a lift today to check it out. What exhaust sealant do you recommend I use with the gaskets? The stuff in the copper tube?

Do we have the same exhaust gasket in the exhaust mani like on the GTIs? I remember having to change that one on my GTI a few times as it was prone to breaking apart and leaking. It was a triangle deal that you access from the top near the turbo.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:48 AM
Rest In Peace

Default Sealer is always a good idea>>>>

and if there is enough of a leak, you can ruin the current gaskets pretty quickly due to heat....

No real recommendation on sealer...just get a name brand...

Unless the exhaust manifold was removed, you should not need to do anything to it.....have not heard of any leaking from a factory install....

You should not need to put it on a lift to see the front o2 sensor....you can access it from the topside via the passenger side of the car...mine was originally not tightened enough and it backed out a bit....caused the exhaust leak. Worse case to access it is to remove the strut bar....