TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Haldex issues...

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Haldex issues...

Sooo, I changed the haldex oil, filter and controller yesterday. Everything was pretty straightforward and easy, but it seems I have a leak. The problem is that I can't see all the areas that may be leaking. The filter seems to be dry on it's upper edge, which is just below the controller unit, so i'm hoping the controller is ok. There is a different style gasket on the new one versus the old one, the old one had recesses in the face of the unit that had rubber bands to create a seal. The new one has a flat mating surface with an aluminum gasket between the diff and unit. I'm hoping that isn't leaking, although I torqued the allen bolts pretty snugly, a lot more snugly than when they came out. The fact that the filter is dry on the top edge leads me to think that either it's leaking from the bottom or I overfilled and the haldex is just equalizing. Searches have indicated that an overfill can be the cause of a leak. I also may have dribbled some oil on the brace when I had my finger plugging the hole and again when i had to remove the plug and put the aluminum crush washer back in. Which was pretty crushed. I wonder if a new crush washer would solve problems?

anyway, Steve, Chris, anybody else had any issues post haldex service?
Old 03-14-2005, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default When I changed my Handex filter and oil, I had what I thought was a leak

I clearly had puddles of oil under the rear of the car. I jacked it up and carefully inspected it. I could see/feel no leaks..

It stopped leaking, making it clear it was only oil that had spilled when injecting the new oil.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

it has decreased significantly, so lets hope. thanks for the repsonse.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I had a leak when I put mine in too...>

That damn gasket is a bear to get aligned and the hex bolts in with one hand! I discovered it when I did a readiness test with the VAG. It will cycle the pump and that's when the Drip, drip, drip started.

You can also check for an overfill condidtion by pulling the level plug on the front drivers side of the unit. It's also much easier to fill here with a turkey baster and a piece of 6mm hose...
Old 03-14-2005, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Did you have to add oil for this install? Or did you service the unit while doing the install?
Old 03-14-2005, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default did you remove and re-align?

i used a rubber band to keep the gasket in place, and I think it was aligned properly. guess i'll be back under there tonight

Is there a VAG diagnostic I can run to check proper operation?

thanks
Old 03-14-2005, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I drained and refilled the oil using the plug on the bottom of the unit.

I just used the ecu replacement as an excuse to do it all.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default I plan to just swap the Controller since my Haldex was serviced last year. Would you take to.....

a mechanic if you could do it all over?
Old 03-14-2005, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Yeah Ben....got it the second time....>

Go into readiness tests....It's in there. It will cycle the electronics, and pump. Glad I did before I went out and drove it!
Old 03-14-2005, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default no. but i did a turbo swap myself :)

only time i go to the mechanic is for warranty work.

Quick Reply: Haldex issues...