TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Help with CV joint job

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with CV joint job

Hi guys, I need your collective expertise again, and do thank all of you in advance and apologise if this is in the wrong section.
(skip this paragraph for the shorter version)
While changing my damaged front hub and worn brakes, I did an inspection and noticed the CV boot on the same side as the hub was torn right at the small clamp side so I ordered the kit from German Auto Parts.com and following both the Bentley guide and the tech writeup on here, I proceeded to remove and clean the CV joint.

I took apart the CV joint and cleaned out all that old grease. Then with LOTS of brake cleaner I cleaned the joint parts, bearings and EVERYTHING. However, (this is where I'm sort of stuck) as I was reassembling everything I noticed the inner race and outer race had slightly different sides. Unfortunately with all the grease on there I did not noticed the orientation of the sides to each other and to the joint itself.

On the outer race, one lip is a hair thicker than the other and with the inner race one side has a notch. Which side on each goes to the outside? I can't seem to find a closeup picture of this anywhere or in the Bentley.

Also, does it matter the positions of the race to the metal joint (the cone shaped part with the hub spindle)? or the locations the bearing ***** came from?

If so, are there marks to realign them with each other?

Many thanks again,
JB
Old 07-11-2008, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Help with CV joint job

IIRC one side will have a larger bevel and one side will be relatively flat. I believe I usually orient it such that the bevel is facing you when you reassemble the joint, and the flat side is installed inside the joint and not visible once assembled, if that makes sense. Good luck.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Help

Thank you; it does to some degree and it seems you are talking about the outer race. How about the inner race and how do you line up the notches for the bearings with the holes in the outer race?
Old 07-12-2008, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Help

Actually I was referring to the cage the ***** fit into. As for the inner and outer races, I can best describe it as the thick part of one race lines up with the thin portion of the opposite race. Sorry, memory is foggy on the inner race placement and how to describe it. Unfortunately I've done so many in the past 15 years that I recognize how they go back together. Good luck.