TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Help! Folding top light

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Folding top light

My folding top light stays on after I turn the car on. Folding top itself functioning normally and 'latching' on properly. light does go off if I do put the top down. This is also associated with somtimes power windows not closing all the way (though they do close if I turn car off).Any ideas pls?
Note Ive had to recharge battery recently .
Old 08-17-2009, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

There's a microswitch in the top right side of the windhield frame in the hole where the corresponding right side pin on the top fits into. The pin depresses the switch which turns off the lights and signals the windows to go up. That switch is on a stalk that can be bent back up to work properly.

There are threads on the forum that explain in great detail should you want to tackle it.

Luis
Old 08-17-2009, 06:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

more than likely its the microswitch that is in the latch mechnism on the top. Over time, it gets "pushed" far enough out of contact range that it causes the top light to stay on...in turn causing problems with the windows rolling up completely, etc. There are several threads around about it, fixes, etc.

The fix for it is to take up the space or attempt to bend the tab for the microswitch back a bit so the top latch/claw on the drivers side makes contact with it again.
A few fixes include...

-buy a new switch
-I've read of people wrapping the "contact" portion (looks like a square plate, you'll see it with the top down and if you look in the d. side latch contact area on the right side) with electrical table and/or even applying heat shrink tubing to "take up" the area between the switch plate the the latch hook...so it works again. (a good way to know what your looking at is to "press" this square plate I speak of down...you should be able to see the top light go "off" on the cluster).

I personally had this problem and was able to successfully fix the switch without having to buy a new one and/or wrap the switch with anything at all. I simple held the lower portion of the switch stationary with a flat screwdriver with a rubber boot protecting any of the frame of the window of the car... with that portion held stationary, I bent the contact plate back slightly with a pair of needle nose pliers. FIXED. No issues and no fatigue to the plate. Haven't had a problem since.

There is also another microswitch on the p side of the car that operates like a "pin" and pushes "down". However, its the d side one mentioned here that seems to cause more problems for most.

Hope it helps.

Joe