TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Help me decide on a used 225TT

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BosTTon
Yes you are right.....keep 'em until the warranty expires and then move on. Did not realize/relate to you comment so thx for the clarification!

BosTTon
So, would that rule out buying a 4 year old 3.2 DSG? I have to stick with new or almost new? Or am I forced to buy an extended warranty? Thanks.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

I was just saying that I understood the other posters comments due to the additional comments. Myself? I am not particularly concerned about TT quality/reliability having owned 3 since 2001. I don't have financial limitations so bought a new one. If I was concerned about money, I'd buy the 4 year old car and even if there were problems, it would not add up to the difference $$$-wise vs. buying a newer car. I might also pick up the extended warranty depending on the type of driving I do and amount of piece of mind I wanted and cost for the extended warranty.

Happy shopping!
BosTTon
Old 11-10-2009, 03:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BosTTon
I was just saying that I understood the other posters comments due to the additional comments. Myself? I am not particularly concerned about TT quality/reliability having owned 3 since 2001. I don't have financial limitations so bought a new one. If I was concerned about money, I'd buy the 4 year old car and even if there were problems, it would not add up to the difference $$$-wise vs. buying a newer car. I might also pick up the extended warranty depending on the type of driving I do and amount of piece of mind I wanted and cost for the extended warranty.

Happy shopping!
BosTTon
I had a heck of an issue every time I went to use my aftermarket extended warranty. No one wanted (dealer or independent) to touch it (because of the extra work calling and getting approval, etc) Maybe buying an audi warranty would be better...but find out who takes the warranty first, before actually buying it ..would be my suggestion on that.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I find the 01 TT quite large inside (6' 230# here)..then again I drive an MGB daily for the most part.

The 225 can be made pretty quick with some not-so-expensive mods - chip (few hundred) and a new downpipe (larger, i use the 42dd) make a HUGE difference. Even my mechanic said that my car is 'REEEEALY FAST' for a TT.

I kept it stock more or less (other than the mods in my sig).

No way can it compete with an S5 etc, but it can hold its own with some smart modifications.

Also on the TT, make sure the seat is DOWN all the way if you are tall. Took me a while to realize the seats go up and down too! Putting it down all the way made a HUGE difference to me.

The mk2 is way too big of a car for me. Actually the mk1 is too, but the new ones are HUGE (and ugly IMO - hate the grill the most). Interior is too 'Corporate Audi' and not unique like the first gen was. If I were stupid enough to get a new Audi, I would pass on the tt and get the a4. We got the TT for its unique style, which is totally lost now. I am sure the new car is 110% better, but it is styled too much, well, Audi!

Plus do they even make Audis with a true manual transmission anymore (ie clutch pedal and real shifter), or is it the silly clutchless manual they pass off now as a manual?
Old 11-10-2009, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Lexx
I had a heck of an issue every time I went to use my aftermarket extended warranty. No one wanted (dealer or independent) to touch it (because of the extra work calling and getting approval, etc) Maybe buying an audi warranty would be better...but find out who takes the warranty first, before actually buying it ..would be my suggestion on that.
We paid for a bumper-to-bumper extended warranty from Warranty Gold on our used 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (http://www.warrantygold.com/Class_Se...aims.cfm?PID=3), and had a transmission covered under it. We had other work which needed to be covered on a later claim, but then they filed bankruptcy for a group of policies, including ours, but continued to write new policies. What a scam. The claim they did pay was a hassle-free check to the dealership, but, now I am leary of the warranty companies.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Lexx
I find the 01 TT quite large inside (6' 230# here)..then again I drive an MGB daily for the most part.

The 225 can be made pretty quick with some not-so-expensive mods - chip (few hundred) and a new downpipe (larger, i use the 42dd) make a HUGE difference. Even my mechanic said that my car is 'REEEEALY FAST' for a TT.

I kept it stock more or less (other than the mods in my sig).

No way can it compete with an S5 etc, but it can hold its own with some smart modifications.

Also on the TT, make sure the seat is DOWN all the way if you are tall. Took me a while to realize the seats go up and down too! Putting it down all the way made a HUGE difference to me.

The mk2 is way too big of a car for me. Actually the mk1 is too, but the new ones are HUGE (and ugly IMO - hate the grill the most). Interior is too 'Corporate Audi' and not unique like the first gen was. If I were stupid enough to get a new Audi, I would pass on the tt and get the a4. We got the TT for its unique style, which is totally lost now. I am sure the new car is 110% better, but it is styled too much, well, Audi!

Plus do they even make Audis with a true manual transmission anymore (ie clutch pedal and real shifter), or is it the silly clutchless manual they pass off now as a manual?
My wife got a 2008 A4 2.0T specifically for the new grill. I agree with you in that the front end of most of they vehicles now looks very similar, without much distinction.

Thanks for the tip on lowering the seat. The 2005 that I test drove, I did drop it down some. I really miss the 8-way power seat from my Stealth in the TT, though.

Your observation of size would explain why I thought the Mk1 was so small then, after having only had previous experience sitting in a 2010 in the dealership, thinking, wow, there is a lot of space in here.

Yes, you can still get the 2010 3.2 in either DSG or 6MT.

I just saw a 2001 225HP listing with 65,000mi for under $11K. However, definitely not my color. Need more 3.2s to get on the market.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by geordon
We paid for a bumper-to-bumper extended warranty from Warranty Gold on our used 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (http://www.warrantygold.com/Class_Se...aims.cfm?PID=3), and had a transmission covered under it. We had other work which needed to be covered on a later claim, but then they filed bankruptcy for a group of policies, including ours, but continued to write new policies. What a scam. The claim they did pay was a hassle-free check to the dealership, but, now I am leary of the warranty companies.
We had warranty direct, which paid out fine. Just the mechanic and/or the dealers just didn't want to bother with the extra effort of diagnosing and submitting the information to the warranty co.

The few times I used it for a covered repair, there was no issue, other than finding someone to actually accept it!

That sucks about warranty gold though
Old 11-10-2009, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

My wife got a 2008 A4 2.0T specifically for the new grill. I agree with you in that the front end of most of they vehicles now looks very similar, without much distinction.

Thanks for the tip on lowering the seat. The 2005 that I test drove, I did drop it down some. I really miss the 8-way power seat from my Stealth in the TT, though.

Your observation of size would explain why I thought the Mk1 was so small then, after having only had previous experience sitting in a 2010 in the dealership, thinking, wow, there is a lot of space in here.

I just saw a 2001 225HP listing with 65,000mi for under $11K. However, definitely not my color. Need more 3.2s to get on the market.
A chipped 225 and properly mod'ed will be great. The issue is the rest of the car just doesn't seem as durable as I would like. It is pretty bad when you know your local tow driver by first name!

Think I am done with Audi (and probably german cars all together). Just way too unreliable for my taste. Considering I own 2 MGBs and a Land Rover, I think that says a lot!

The TT is my wifes driver (when it is not in for service!), so we will keep it as long as she likes it.

The mk1 cars are at the age when wear and tear items will need to be replaced with gusto.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Couldnt find on audi's (or edmunds) a TT configuration for a manual trans on a 09 or 10
Old 11-10-2009, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

i meant i found it on the 09 but not on the 2010.

Seems there is only an I4 AT for 2010 TT now?

Quick Reply: Help me decide on a used 225TT