TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

help (Rahul?) seasoning newly purchased wok

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2002, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help (Rahul?) seasoning newly purchased wok

Can someone point me to detailed instructions on how to season pans? Last time I did it it really didn't work and the pan started rusting... tia!
Old 05-20-2002, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Google: "WOK Seasoning"

<ul><li><a href="http://www.thaifoodandtravel.com/features/wokcare.html">http://www.thaifoodandtravel.com/features/wokcare.html</a</li></ul>
Old 05-20-2002, 10:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

www.wokseasoning.com
Old 05-20-2002, 10:25 AM

Default oh yeah, i forgot about Google...

... people on this forum are so nice and helpful that I keep forgetting about conventional search engines...
Old 05-20-2002, 10:26 AM

Sean, do you still need that CD-Rom drive?
Old 05-20-2002, 10:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Axel...Oh right I forgot all about that =)

Thanks, but instead of trying to build a new computer in the garage, I just ran a cable from upstairs. Thanks for the offer tho', that was nice of you =)
Old 05-20-2002, 10:40 AM

np
Old 05-20-2002, 10:56 AM

Default Is it a steel wok? If so, do not ever clean it with soap. Use hot water, scrub the bits, and then dr

well, and place on the stove. Heat the wok until very hot, then turn off the heat, let cool a bit, then spread a tablespoon of cooking oil around the entire inside, making sure you coat the surface evenly and thoroughly, otherwise you will get rust. This method was told to me by a Chinese woman whose cooking skill is top notch. SHe also told me anything other than a steel wok is a waste of time, especially the non-stick kind.

Over time, you will build up a black coating on the wok, which is what you want. Hope that helps. My wok is now about 7 years old, and is well-coated! :-)
Old 05-20-2002, 11:18 AM

Default yes it's carbon steel.

saturday night I removed the protective coating, then rinsed it and didn't dry it thoroughly, and the next morning I found a couple of rust spots on the inside... aaargh! How can I clean them off?

Also, when I season it or put it on the stove to dry, what heat should I set the burner on?

Thanks Paul...
Old 05-20-2002, 11:24 AM

Default Clean the rust off with a Brillo pad or some type of metal scouring pad, using little or no soap,

then dry thoroughly with paper towels. I just put the stove on high, and heat the wok on the burner until I can almost see smoke, then I turn it off, and move the wok off the burner, let it cool for a few minutes, then spread the oil.

I only let it cool so that the oil does not spatter when I put it on the wok, but it's still hot to the touch. I spread the oil around with a paper towel.

I did not season mine per se, I just started cooking with it and let the seasoning take place over time. The best thing to use to season is lard, but that may be hard to find. You want solid fats, not oil. But seasoning is a pain in the ***, and I found after 4-5 times cooking with it, it already was developing a nice coating.

No, the rust won't matter a bit, as long as you get it off soon.

Quick Reply: help (Rahul?) seasoning newly purchased wok