TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Here's my analogy with regard to this OT moderation issue...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2002, 09:32 AM
Eighth Member of AudiWorld. God-like, glorious and all-knowing.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Here's my analogy with regard to this OT moderation issue...

Once upon a time, there was a sports bar. We'll call it the AW Sports Bar. It started off kind of small and shabby, but it was a fun place and folks enjoyed going there.

Soon, the owner, we'll call him Mr. T, began to improve and expand the bar. More and more folks frequented the establishment, and seeing the success of the bar, vendors started to provide some financial support to Mr. T.

One day, a group of 21 year olds showed up and started a number of fights and conflicts. However, they sat in a dim section of the bar, and most of the patrons didn't really notice or care.

When the bartender started to crack down on the behavior of these kids, they began complaining to the owner. "Why are you always picking on us? Hey, look at those other guys", they cried. "This is a sports bar, and those other guys aren't talking about sports."

"Oh sure, they talk about sports a lot of the time, but they're also talking about life. About sickness of a spouse, about a beloved pet dying or a daughter getting married. One even had the nerve to discuss the poor economy and suggested a site where some of the unemployed might find a job". "THOSE are the one's who you should be cracking down on, not us! THEY are the problem".

To push the point, these kids began intruding upon the well-behaved, long-time patrons of the sports bar. The kids were provoking and insulting the regulars, sitting at their tables uninvited. There, they would pass gas and kick the locals in their ankles under the table.

Mr. T thought long and hard about this. Finally, he came up with what he thought was an ideal solution.

"From now on, there will only be discussion about sports in the AW Sports Bar. After all, this is a sports bar. Look at all of the pennants and photographs on the wall. Heck, we've even got ESPN and ESPN2 running on all of our monitors."

"I'm also creating another bar. It's in the bad part of town, but you can discuss whatever you want to over there. However, in THIS bar, we will only talk about sports. To drive the point home, I am hiring several large bouncers who are instructed to forcibly eject anyone who discusses ANYTHING other than sports".

This didn't sit too well with the regulars. They loved sports and tried to limit their conversations to that subject, but it quickly grew dreary. Soon, the patrons began discussing topics that interested them, but true to word, the bouncers threw out whoever engaged in non-sports discussion.

Some of the patrons tried out Mr. T's new bar, but the crowd was unseemly, and the establishment had a bad odor about it. Plus, it was inconvenient and visiting that neighborhood was not enjoyable. So most of the regulars eventually found a new bar where they could say what they wanted to, and that bar flourished.

A few of the old-timers stuck around, but after many of the regulars left, they got bored limiting their conversations to sports. Besides, most of their creative and interesting friends had left, so what was the point. Soon, even the kids got bored and left.

Oh, the AW Sports Bar is still there. However, it's not the fun place it once was. Mr. T is now the bartender, and the bouncers have been let go. Not enough revenue to pay their salaries.

Every now and then, a tourist wanders in, orders a beer and talks about sports. However, they usually don't stick around for long. You see, there's an interesting and lively new bar just around the corner.
Old 01-14-2002, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well said, in Texas, we say, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" (and that works to a certain extent )
Old 01-14-2002, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Nice story, or should I say parable.....
Old 01-14-2002, 09:47 AM

Can you just let it go and grow up?
Old 01-14-2002, 09:49 AM

Why don't you butt out and mind your own business?
Old 01-14-2002, 09:58 AM
JHC
AudiWorld Member

Default This looks like SpeedVision story......

SpeedVision will be the SpeedChannel in February but the changes are already apparent. Sunday, I was hoping to see the final run of the Paris/Dakar Rally.

Instead,Oil additive infomercials, Womens' Bobsleding and Lawnmower Racing.

Yeah, it's speed related but not programming that will keep me interested.

The Forum in it's current form is an interesting mix of technical and social commentary. Creating two Forums will kill both.
Old 01-14-2002, 09:58 AM

Because this is a public forum and I own A TT. Or Can their only be one opinion on this forum.
Old 01-14-2002, 10:10 AM

I don't tell you what to do, say, write or think. I'd appreciate it if you'd show me that courtesy.
Old 01-14-2002, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

It's an important topic. It's only your "tone" that ruffled feathers.
Old 01-14-2002, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Isn't it interesting - ESPN when young had tons of motor sports then none, same with espn 2 now SV

...looks like it is selling out to NACAR which is the motor sport series I least like. Oh will someone please come to the rescue, I want World Rally Car, And BTC and DTM and FI and Paris Dakar, and so on. JIM

Quick Reply: Here's my analogy with regard to this OT moderation issue...