TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

High Pitch Digital Chatter with Concert Bose

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2000, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Pitch Digital Chatter with Concert Bose

While playing CDs, I am hearing a high pitch digital chatter that can be heard primarily during quiet sections of music. Dealer/service states that Audi is aware of similar problem and there is no resolve to fix it yet. Anyone have the same problem or know of any service centers that were able to eliminate it.
Old 03-11-2000, 04:42 PM

Default Re: High Pitch Digital Chatter with Concert Bose

I have same problem. Dealer unable to fix it so far.......they think it may be a ground problem, but they're guessing. They replaced both the CD changer and the head unit.......no fix. Next they want me to leave the car for a day or two while they flail away at it.

You can see a number of postings in the archives on this matter.......some from me, some from others.

Hard to know if all Bose equipped TTs have this problem or just some of them........people who listen to continuous high level music may not hear it even if its there...though easily noticed with wide dynamic material. I suspect that some who don't complain of it may nevertheless have the same problem.......but their threshold of awareness perhaps isn't sensitive to this flaw.....or maybe it's only some units that are defective?
Old 03-11-2000, 06:22 PM

Default Solution is to replace the throttle body according to my dealer

Yeah, I know it sounds preposterous, but this is what they swear is the problem. They ordered me a new one. When it comes in and they replace mine I will be happy to let you guys know if the problem goes away. They ordered me a throttle body and it's associated gasket. The dealership is Andersen Behel Imports in San Jose, CA. Their service dept. number is (408) 244-5400
Old 03-12-2000, 06:52 AM
Mia
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes, I have that problem and had to almost make a scene at the dealership just to get them to agree to replace the CD changer, which will occur on the 15th. I doubt that is the problem, but will keep you posted after the replacement. Also, I just wanted to say thank you for the "info" that Audi is aware of the problem because my service department was near the point of calling me crazy for "hearing noises" that they apparently didn't hear. My problem seems worse while driving too. I can hear the noise increasing in pitch while accelerating and also hear "scratchy" noises when I release the gas pedal. Do you have the same symptoms?
Old 03-12-2000, 07:08 AM

Same problem.......worse when engine revs than when idling...and if you use rear window heater, gets a lot worse....noise much less when engine is off, which clearly indicates some kind of electrical interference, ground, faulty shielding, or similar whatever....

My dealer swapped CD changer unit........said it would be a "while-u-wait" hour, but it took them 4 hours.....tougher job gaining access than they thought, I suppose....finally, defeat snatched from the jaws of victory - it didn't fix the problem.....so then they swapped head units.......and that didn't fix it either.......so I wasted a day sitting there while they learned what DIDN"T work.

At first they didn't hear it either......but after they wasted the 4 hours replacing the changer and told me it was fixed, I got hot and refused to leave until they investigated further.......so they brought out the service supervisor tech guy....and after I demonstrated it to him, he heard it clearly....but had no specific ideas or solutions, so I just wrote off the day and left with no idea what to do next.

If this throttle body theory is correct, one can only hope that the replacement throttle body isn't defective as well.......
Old 03-12-2000, 07:15 AM
Mia
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Thanks for the info...

looks like I may cancel my appointment and try to discuss it with them first, although I doubt that will get me anywhere! They are extremely difficult to deal with.
Old 03-12-2000, 08:24 AM
Dj

Yes, I'm having similar problems. Only seems to
happen with some CDs though, not all. Haven't really
had the time to troubleshoot further...

-Dj
Old 03-12-2000, 10:50 AM

Default Audi Technical Bulletin on the way?

Thanks for all the feedback! I recently had my 180TTQ in for service (exhaust pipe spandex part replacement) and showed the service manager my CD noise problem. They were not able to find the solution - which is why I posted the question to the forum. However, I wanted everyone to know exactly what it said on my paperwork: "Audi Technical is coming out with a bulletin soon, this problem is aware and under research. No repair at this time." This was from Cutter Motors in Santa Barbara, CA, USA.

Please post back when the first of us gets the problem resolved. Sounds like that might be D-TTrain. Thanks to all.
Old 03-14-2000, 08:45 AM

Default Yep - me too

D-TTrain, I've got the exact same problem and Andersen-Behel is my local dealership so I'm *very* interested to hear if swapping the throttle body fixes it. I've also got the "defogger whine" problem with the CD.
Old 04-11-2000, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Re: Solution is to replace the throttle body according to my dealer