TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Holy mother of god... I just had one that was WAY too close for comfort>>>

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2001, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Holy mother of god... I just had one that was WAY too close for comfort>>>

I bout t-boned a rather large suburban at 40mph...

was going home from lunch... medium traffic.. minivan beside me when we come up on the local sonic and I see this big ole 80's suburban.. complete with step bars, grill guard and them res wheels that stick out and have the 295 series 15 " tires...

I guess he must have been really hungry... cause instead of stopping and waiting for clear traffic... he just zooms right on through the turn lane and turns in front of me and the mini van! I brake.... but not hard enough... cause I figured he would go on into the sonic parking lot... WRONG!!!

why is it people in small cars zoom into parking lots over speed bumps, dips, entrance ramps etc... but people in big ole rough and tumble 4x4 trucks feel the need to come to a complete stop and crawl over them?? well thats exactly what this guy does... he slams his brakes stopping broadside right in my lane so he can crawl through the small dip at the entrance...

oh ****.... time to REALLY stop... so I hit them harder and pump the pedal... you see, my car has no ABS!! the brake bias is a bit weird I guess... the fronts were fine... but the rears choose to lock up over a small bump, which tossed the *** up into the air a bit... and when it came back down it decided to get sideways in a big way... almost taking out the mini van next to me... I layed on the horn and luckily the bastard in the suburban decided maybe he shouldnt take his time...

I burried the front bumper in the pavement... litteraly!!

but i'm fine... the car is fine... the poor lady int he mini van was fine lol.... I should a pulled into the sonic and given that guy a piece of my mind... but i'm on a limited time schedule here lol...

yikes!!

cant wait for my dub.... with ABS again!
Old 10-16-2001, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn, Dani, you should have stopped....at least so the bastard could pay for any bumper damage
Old 10-16-2001, 11:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gotta love NM drivers (not you.) :-)
Old 10-16-2001, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Whoa!!! Sounds like a mustang alright. Glad to see all is okay Dani. :-)
Old 10-16-2001, 02:34 PM

Default Glad you're ok...FWIW, the solid rear axle on my Jimmy absolutely hates speed bumps

so I go over slow....lest I be tossed into the roof....if I can I'll go on an angle to help a bit. Probably the combination of stiff springs & heavy shocks, dunno.
-Dale
ps. couple of days ago almost got squeezed between a bus & a semi in the TT. The bus opted to move over to the lane after I'd indicated moving over....glad they waited a little or it'd have been bad...very bad.