TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

How can I tell if it is chipped.?...>>

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 08:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can I tell if it is chipped.?...>>

I have my new ride on the road - I have all but one week in the pilot's seat after the TB, VTDA, R1, etc...
One of the coolest mods was the VDO boost gauge in the vent trick...which has me wondering:
Apparently a bone stock TT produces 18psi of boost, with a chipped TT produces 22psi...
My VDO is showing a solid 22psi at WOT.
And snaps my neck back. And creates a wild grin. And makes me very happy that I chose this as my next ride.
However, the ride as I got it was absolutely bone-stock in every other way (including 90,000 miles on the TB)
How can I tell if this unit has been chipped?
(I have the VAG-COM)
Old 06-24-2007, 08:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Depends on the vendor...

APR uses the cruise control buttons to let you get in and out of the software...

Revo and Giac might be harder to detect...it's a good bet that if you're holding 22 that you're chipped...since lots of people "de-mod" before selling/trading-in, you probably got the better end of the deal.

Where'd you purchase it? Maybe someone on the board here was the seller/trader (not traitor...well...maybe)
Old 06-24-2007, 08:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Depends on the vendor...

This car came from Ottawa - and was bone-stock - right down to the maintenance pages being stamped by the same dealer for every interval.
Not a single obvious add-on of any kind - and some obvious good maintenance - new CV boots, green colant sensor, etc...
The 22psi had my head scratching (in a good way)
Just curious how to tell if it has been chipped?
If I yank the ECU what do I look for?
Yup! Total noob....
Old 06-24-2007, 08:54 PM

Default you can try...

pushing down the button on the end of the left hand stalk for 5+s and see if the CEL light starts blinking. If so, you have an APR chip with multiple programs and probably just reset it to stock mode. Keep holding it down and the CEL will flash multiple times per second until it gets back to once per second - stock mode. The other modes would be various chipped modes.

As roady said, the other chips are harder to detect.

good luck!

scot
Old 06-25-2007, 03:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

You could try to contact APR...I think they record the VINs which they've chipped (retail)
Old 06-25-2007, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

>15psi? You sir is chipped!
Old 06-25-2007, 07:59 AM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default describe the TT (color, year, etc.)...maybe it belonged to someone here.

chip may have been left in during trade-in/sale. and from the sounds of it...most likely. you can always open up the ECU to see yourself.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

GIAC is will have your VIN as well and have great email support.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: describe the TT (color, year, etc.)...maybe it belonged to someone here.

Sure - 2002 225QC, Moro Blue, 140,000km
Old 06-25-2007, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Depends on the vendor...

Welcome to the board. Loads of info. Regarding your ECU, many vendors now support programming through the ODB2 port. If it was done the old fashioned way (by soldering the chip directly on the ECU board), then you can tell by the 2 following ways:
1. If you remove the rain tray to look at the ECU underneath the passenger wiper pivot, look at the left side (passenger side) of the ECU. There's a little black tab that's normally bent in to lock the ECU in place. If it's been bent out, it means the ECU has at least been out of the car.
2. The ECU itself has tamper-paint on the screws, so just look at them to see if it's been apart.

If it has, chances are it's chipped. But again as others have said, if it's holding more than 15 psi, you're most likely chipped...

Quick Reply: How can I tell if it is chipped.?...>>