TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

How many times can my girlfriend smoke my clutch before it is completely shot?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2002, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FWIW: I have been driving a standard since I was 16 (22 now) >>>

And to this day I still get nervous with my dad in the car and drive worse.

Driving home with my first standard (from the dealership) my dad screamed and yelled every time I stalled. I actually did pretty well, about 20 miles on Interstates and major roads with only about 5 stalls at traffic lights. This was (aside from a short test drive) the first time I'd ever really driven a 5 speed.
Old 05-22-2002, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It was a nice ceremony, but long.

Staring at several thousand square hats and waiting for three hours to hear one name get called got a little old.

But she is done, degree in hand, and has moved to Lincoln Park last week, so it is good to have her in the area now.

We need to get together again soon for a night on the town... are you moving to NY?
Old 05-22-2002, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Something else to consider >>>

Sorry to post all over the place...

A clutch like ours is pretty exact. There's not a lot of room to screw up. If you can find something a little more forgiving (like an older Honda) it'll be easier to get her confidence up.

Also, I hate to advocate this, but: teach her to get going in first without touching the gas. She'll have to slip the clutch a lot (which of course sucks) but she'll know where the clutch engages very well. It's also better than slipping the clutch at 5,000 RPM.
Old 05-22-2002, 09:09 AM

Default Re: It was a nice ceremony, but long.

yeah...i'm so looking forward to my ceremony (not) that's cool she's here now...I'm not moving to ny but have training there for my job next year...i spend some/most of the summer in nyc then come back to chicago...i'll be working dt at the sears tower. Right now I'm looking for places in lp, gold coast or river north

yes, def. need to get together soon...especially fore I leave for a bit...I'm gone jun 24
Old 05-22-2002, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Haha! I have to bite down on my tounge everytime she stalls or revs it past 4K!
Old 05-22-2002, 09:19 AM

Default hey don't say nothing bad about your girlfriend, she's great!

has she moved to Chicago yet? GTG soon? I still have to show you the TTE pics...
Old 05-22-2002, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Seriously, if you have an idea of how much abuse the clutch can take let me know.

We are up three serious smokes where we could smell the clutch for a while. Am I worrying too early? Or should I really be concerned? I have to think that burning the clutch that badly really shaves the life off of it.
Old 05-22-2002, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default She has!

Moved into Lincoln Park last week. Now that she moved there, I will be downtown more often. What is your schedule like? (We have to go to a wedding this weekend in Detroit.)
Old 05-22-2002, 10:20 AM

Default Thats exactly how I was... (#3)... regardless of who

was attempting to teach me... My mom, my dad... my BF... they always managed to make me feel like a complete tard.... or mom was the worst... she would get nervous and start freaking out lol

I swear I would either stall, stutter, roll backwards 20 feet lol and then freak out, accidently dump the clutch... or smoke the **** out of it

and what was bad... they were trying to teach me so I could drive mom's BMW 450 miles to denver!! I finally jumped in the car by myself late one night and it was like i'd been driving one for years lol...
Old 05-22-2002, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Words from MY first instructor (my dad)

"You spill my coffee and I'll kick your ***" )

Funny thing to say to a teenager but it worked )

Quick Reply: How many times can my girlfriend smoke my clutch before it is completely shot?