TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

how to remove fuel injector cups in manifold?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to remove fuel injector cups in manifold?

Hello kids.
I am having the intake manifold sandblasted this week and wanted to remove the little injector holders so they aren't blasted in the process. What is the best way to do this without damaging them?

Thanks all~

John M.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I believe they come out with a large allen key.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 19mm, I recall, but they're set with loc-tite and cost about $48 each >

if you replace with Audi parts. The VW parts btw, are about $2.50
Old 03-07-2006, 07:46 PM

Default Don't do it if you don't want to buy new ones>>>

APR says "the plastic injector seats are removed with a 20mm allen socket. The seats are threaded and turn out counterclockwise. Be aware that the seats are usually destroyed when being removed"<ul><li><a href="http://www.goapr.com/Audi/support/injectors.pdf">http://www.goapr.com/Audi/support/injectors.pdf</a</li></ul>
Old 01-04-2019, 01:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ya see: https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...injector-seats

I wanted to post an update there because I'm in the process of replacing mine after > 220,000 miles and they just disintegrate because the plastic has gone brittle. Don't waste your time trying to find a 20mm tool at that point. It doesn't matter what tool you use they're nearly impossible to remove cleanly at that age.

The strategy I've come up over the last few hours that seems to work is chiseling out the cap on the top, and the tail at the bottom, and then grinding out the bulk in the middle with round wood sand paper moto tool attachment, and then using a round steel brush moto attachment to grind out the plastic bits from the threads. There's a strategy to the steel brush tool, you basically use speed 4 or so, and then push straight down into the thread until you can see the metal, and then move to a new spot. After you can see the threads, can can press down a little more to grind a bit into the threads, the threads sound be ok with this. Then you start picking away with a precision flat head screwdriver. If you're lucky, the heat from the metal brush detaches the plastic from the epoxy so you can carefully peel away a few rounds of the plastic from the threads. After all the plastic comes you, the really time intensive part starts, that's picking out the epoxy that's glued to the threads. Here you have to use the precision flat head screw driver and leverage against the edge of the cup and start scraping following the threads. Eventually you'll figure out the amount of pressure you need to remove the bulk.

After it looks good, you'll put the new cups in and find out that it sticks in certain areas, and now comes round 2 of the scraping with the screw drivers.

HOURS of fun. After one night I'm half way done <sigh>. After all this work I'm chucking my new plastic cups and just ordered a set of billet cups. NEVER AGAIN.