TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

I give up...

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2000, 09:46 PM
Cliff Melick

Default I give up...

Damn..can't anyone on this forum read... the TT comes (if you get it with 17" wheels) with performance tires--which means you need to purchase SNOW tires--if you live in a snowy climate...it says so in the Audit TT brochure (OK, it is in small print, I'll give you that). So guess what...your TT will not go in the snow if you don't get winter tires... SNOW tires...big surprise. Sheesh folks--is reading a lost art? Does anyone understand footnotes? Deep breath--now exhale--can you say SNOW TIRES?--got it?-Good!
Old 01-27-2000, 05:18 AM
AkRascal

Easy there Cliff, easy
Old 01-27-2000, 05:37 AM
John Rutledge

Default we don't even own snow shovels, much less snow tires

From an area in the country that doesn't get
all that much snow.... We went seven years
without a significant snowfall. This week
we got a record 15-20 inches! Not even thinking
about taking Baby out in this! She might get
hit by an idiot. Yes, I still have the original
performance tires. Most people here don't buy
snow tires. It wouldn't make economic sense. Heck, most of of don't even own snow shovels!

By the way, has anyone counted the number of
WARNINGS! in the TT owner's manual? There must
be several hundred.
Old 01-27-2000, 05:43 AM
Gerita Milam

Default Re: I give up...

Cliff! Can you say "PROZAC!"
Old 01-27-2000, 06:10 AM
ObsessTT

Default I couldn't agree more. Please read the manual once through...

You won't remember everything, but at least you'll know that the fader is supposed to be off on the BOSE! (Yes, there is a separate manual for the Concert stereo)

You can't drive your new TT 24x7 when you get it. I posted a question to this forum the first weekend I had my car, and it was a RTFM question. I felt stupid, read the manual, and I was cleansed.

I am sorry for folks like John R in the warmer climes. They are forecasting freezing rain here tonight. This town will shut down. (Jax, FL.)

Ivan

(Using up both cents at a time!)
Old 01-27-2000, 06:45 AM
Hank

Default Re: I give up...

Can I get a hallelujah from the congregation!

I hear ya'. I've noticed that a lot of owners have not taken the time to read the manual based on their questions. It would ease a lot of frustration if they just took the time to read it. Really folks, it's not a difficult read and the manual has pictures too!
Old 01-27-2000, 08:15 AM
Corey L

You can get a full set of tires/rims, nothing fancy, for much less than $1K (nt)
Old 01-27-2000, 08:25 AM
cpop

Default Cliff. Chill.

It's obvious to those of us that know a snowflake has six sides most of the time. But it's not always obvious to the fortunates/unfortunates that rarely see snow.

PLUS, you always hear the dealer say "This car has Quattro which is GREAT for the snow". But you never hear them say "after you plunk down another few hundred for snow tires". Granted, you may know you're getting performance tires when you buy the car, but you'll never hear the dealer say they suck on snow, you just keep hearing Quattro Quattro.

For the record, my A6 with it's hps is excellent on snow, the TT with hps doesn't come anywhere near it. So it's not always obvious when snow tires are req'd with an awd vehicle, but woe to those who don't recognize the obvious when they first drive in bad conditions.