TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

I have this situation with my TT locks, similar to the lock problem in the FAQ but the lights are OK

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2000, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I have this situation with my TT locks, similar to the lock problem in the FAQ but the lights are OK

The situation is this....the first day that I got my TT I was driving it home and stopped at a gas station to wait for my sister to fill up. As we were leaving I stalled the car and started it back up with the doors unlocked if I remember right. This was the only time I have stalled the car and since then, the doors no longer automatically lock at any speed while I am driving. I was wondering if anyone is familiar with this. I call it a situation because it doesn't really bother me but I am curious as to why the 15 mph speed doesn't lock the doors. What can I do to restore this??? Also if I lock the doors from the inside and get out to close the driver's side it does not lock. Is this normal or do I have to pull on the door handle to lock it like on some Nissans??? Thanks for the info.........still LOVIN this car!! -Doug
Old 11-25-2000, 06:55 PM
Elder Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some questions and an answer for you . . .

Did you have the dealer recode your car to lock the doors at 15mph? The TT does not come with this turned on.

When you stopped at the gas station were the doors locked? Did you at anytime turn the car off and remove the key from the ignition? If you stopped and turned the car off with the key in the ignition and got out of the car leaving the key in the ignition then the door would not relock automatically!

Just stalling the car will NOT unlock the doors, you would have needed to removed the key to unlock the doors, which would then tell me you stayed in the car with the key in the ignition while your sister filled her car with gas.

The doors relocking is determined on each time the key is put in and out of the ignition, the car is started and the car goes above 15mph.

As for the car not locking itself at 15mph, go back to the dealer and have them recode it for you.

The drivers door will NOT lock until it is closed. This is to prevent you from locking your keys in the car! That might be in the manualk, been a while since I read it

I hope this long winded post helps in some way.
Old 11-25-2000, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have had a similar experience with stalling

Yes, I admit I have stalled the TT. :-) It happened the other morning when I was focusing on too much at once. Right afterwards though the interior lights stayed on and the interior locks wouldn't engage by way of the button.

This was the first time I've had the problem since I heard of the way to get it reset.

I stopped, turned off the engine, key out of the ignition and the door opened. When I started the car again the lights/locks had been reset.

I'm hoping to get this figured out enough that I can repeat it for the dealer (or on the way to the dealership). I want this one fixed... it is just too annoying to know the problem exists.
Old 11-25-2000, 10:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Thanks for the info guys, I will see if I can clear up any confusion.....

The dealer had programmed the locks to lock at 15 mph because I remember them locking when I drove off. Now when I got to the gas station (before I stalled the car) I took the key out and got down. I got back in to leave and drove out with the doors UNLOCKED and stalled it at that time. I did NOT take the key out of the ignition, simply turned it all the way toward me to reset the ignition lock so I could restart it and did so. After I had the car moving again I noticed that it did NOT automatically lock on its own and has never done it since. That is the only strange thing that has happened so far and hopefully the only thing that WILL happen. I hope my car doesn't read this. Thanks for your advice......-Doug
Old 11-25-2000, 10:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Unfortunately...I can't go visit the dealer as often as I would like. New Orleans is 3 hours away