TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

I think I've got a new one for you people keeping track of annoying TT noises :-D

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2002, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think I've got a new one for you people keeping track of annoying TT noises :-D

Got in the car this morning and started her up. Started hearing a strange sound from the engine comp. so I popped the hood. With the hood open it sounded like a sporadic clanking sound, from inside the car, it sounds exactly like...and I'm not joking...someone slurping a milkshake through a straw.

When I turned the seat heater off, it almost completely went away! Came back when I turned the passenger seat heater on (only not so bad). I turned the driver's seat heater back on and back it came.

It's not loud enough to hear while I'm driving so that's probably why I've not noticed it before. Forgot to check if it was still happening after I got to work but I will tonight after I get home.

Any ideas?...Anyone?
Old 12-03-2002, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default BTW, when I had the hood open, it sounded like it was coming from the driver's side firewall...

So I'm pretty sure it isn't a belt.
Old 12-03-2002, 11:08 AM
Elder Member

Of course I have no idea, but did you ever see Hotel Splendide? heh, heh! :-)
Old 12-03-2002, 11:09 AM

Default Yeah teach your seat heater some manners...slurping is rude!

No seriously..that's really odd. Don't have the slightest.
Old 12-03-2002, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I have no idea what Hotel Splendide is, but could you at least hazzard a guess?

Even if it's wrong, I don't care, I just want an explanation that SOUNDS correct. ;-)
Old 12-03-2002, 11:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Only thing I could think of is that the Seat heater is creating an amperage draw

and it is putting a load on the belts, a bad (or going bad) belt tensioner could become louder with an electrical load on it....just a thought.

Take a long handled screwdriver or hammer and place one end of the object on the belt tensioner and the other end up to your ear, you should be able to clearly hear if the tensioner is making noise.
Old 12-03-2002, 11:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

think it could be coolant starting to flow through the heater core?
Old 12-03-2002, 11:17 AM
Elder Member

Default Well then, I'm your man! This is CLEARLY what is happening: The seat heater monkey-dudes are

really pissed off about the sub-standard monkey-dude pellets that Audi tries to feed them and all but one have gone on strike. Apparently the poor little bastard that remains just can't peddle fast enough to keep the "Keep Your *** Toasty" stuff that flows through the various tubes in your seat - also known as "seat heaters," so anyhoo, he's been drinking power shakes and that's the sound you are hearing. Monkey-dudes, even when well intentioned, are apparently not very well mannered.

<slurp> <slurp> <slurp>
Old 12-03-2002, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Are you serious?! Howbout if you do it while I dial 911!

Dispatcher: "What seems to be the problem?"

Me: "My friend has a screwdriver stuck in his head!"

Dispatcher: "Excuse me?"

Me: "You heard me, it's embedded in there pretty deep too!"

Dispatcher: ...Click
Old 12-03-2002, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Perhaps...I'll try turning the heater off next time...

Quick Reply: I think I've got a new one for you people keeping track of annoying TT noises :-D