TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Interesting info from UK forum re 18" wheels - I don't know the reasoning

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2002, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interesting info from UK forum re 18" wheels - I don't know the reasoning

If you have an "original" TT and haven't had the ESP/spoiler/suspension mods done, then you mustn't fit 18" wheels. Ever.

If you have an original TT but have had the suspension mods done, I don't know what the position is.

If you have a later-model TT with the revised suspension (you'll know because it will have come with ESP and the spoiler as standard), then 18" wheels can be fitted with no modification. There are no suspension changes at the factory for 18" wheels.

However, Audi UK, for unknown reasons, have set a blanket ban on retro-fitting 18" wheels to any TT (except to replace a factory-fitted 18" wheel). They will not honour warranty claims arising from fitment of these wheels, even if fitted by an Audi dealer (although Audi UK have also told dealers they are not allowed to fit them!).
Old 01-14-2002, 04:31 AM
dr

Default Maybe because the MK1suspension is/was so tight and hyperactive

by some accounts for street use. If memory serves this (along with some famous crashes) is why the car was detuned with the MK2 suspension.

The side wall heights on the 17" rim is pretty minimal and won't alow for much absorbtion as part of the overall suspension engineering. The 18" rim with even narrower sidewalls and MK1 could make for quite severe ride stability,and pot hole impact transfer issues like the cracked windshields we've read about here.

DR
Old 01-14-2002, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default the mkI suspension allowed a greater degree of oversteer than the mkII...

suspension does...the crashes in germany were caused (as determined in court) by driver error, not the mkI suspension. but because of the litigious nature of the u.s., audi changed to the mkII suspension, added the spoiler, and retrofitted esp. the mkI suspension with no spoiler and no esp is not inherently unstable -- just still prone to oversteering.

why should that have an impact on the use of 18" wheels (serious question -- i don't know the answer).
Old 01-14-2002, 04:40 AM

Default The decreased sidewall deflection is probably contributing towards a high load on

the rear arms...which seem to be prone to stress cracks due to faulty design and manufacture....also the stiffer sidewall is probably contributing towards instability at speed with the truly cheap oem suspension...this warning is nothing more than a coverup by Audi due to their cheap shody parts that they use and very poor quality control... probably that a stiffer wheel tire package is magnifying their manufacturing flaws....
Old 01-14-2002, 04:42 AM

not just the suspension but a body that is prone to excessive high speed lift as well.
Old 01-14-2002, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hmmmn, I don't like this... 18's arrive this week. Anyone with MK1 out there have 18's?

I know I will soon... not ready to be alarmed, but wouldn't want a control arm busting on me at speed...
Old 01-14-2002, 04:52 AM

lol... yeah airbag would taste like sh@t if it snapped....is yours mark 1?
Old 01-14-2002, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default the excessive high speed lift was one of the things alleged at the trials in germany...

but it wasn't shown to be a factor. does it actually exist?
Old 01-14-2002, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yep, 100% MK1 with no spoiler (7/99 build)

There are many folks out there with 18's and same equip as mine. the fact that Audi Europe has a policy now just makes things a bit more dicey when it comes to whatever's left of my warranty.
Old 01-14-2002, 05:06 AM

Default lawyers and trials aside...TT does suffer from high speed ....

I myself like to drive fast...I generally hit at least a 120mph every day... the car does generate alot of lift... Its biggest problem is that do to its unique shape it was penned more from a design point than from an aerodynamic design... Car could really benefit from a front splitter and a serious wing , the oem one only generates around 110lbs I believe. But i must point out that lift doesnt become a major issue until over 200kms hour... about 125mph

Quick Reply: Interesting info from UK forum re 18" wheels - I don't know the reasoning