TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

JohnS or anyone else.. Question regarding the problem of leaving the key in the ignition

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2002, 09:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JohnS or anyone else.. Question regarding the problem of leaving the key in the ignition

I was wondering if you ever found out from Haldex if you could burn something out by leaving a key in the ignition while the door was open or simply when the key is in the ignition.. It just sounds a little crazy that this would be the case because what happens if you make an honest mistake of leaving the key in the ignition over night? thats a 10,000 mistake? Its just sounds a little crazy... thanks
Old 07-13-2002, 09:51 PM
Elder Member

Default John, yes you can. It was confirmed for me by an Audi dealer in TX

He admitted they did it and when they called the Audi Tech Line they confirmed this is 100% true. It will not happen each and every time, but it CAN happen. This is how mine got burnt out. Dealer did this and now mine is screwed.

The Texas dealer even called me and talked to me about 20 minutes explaining it to me. Don't ask me for the dealer and guys name, don't have it handy.

Oh, one other thing . . . the dealer asked the Tech Line why there was not a TSB and the Tech Line said there would NEVER be a TSB on this. They would just quietly replace the broken/burnt out parts under warranty quietly.
Old 07-13-2002, 09:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default thats cool.. Good thing I forgot my key in the ignition a few times

thought I was doing good by letting the car run for 2 minutes, then turning the car off, often leaving the key in the ignition.. Thats great..
Old 07-13-2002, 10:01 PM

Default Does this mean....

key in ignition and car off or car idling???
Old 07-13-2002, 10:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default leaving the key in the ignition with the car off.. maybe

I should just leave the key in the ignition for a few days to see what happens, becuase my manual doesn't say anything about this..

just kidding..
Old 07-14-2002, 01:45 AM

Default re: Texas Dealer

Yes, try Tim Wood at the Audi Store 214/452-3800.

I'm the one whom the dealer told that the Haldex Control Unit may burn up and relayed it to Larry - so take those keys out of the ignition
Old 07-14-2002, 01:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hmm, not very logical.... I have been leaving the key in the ignition for almost

three years now with no ill effect. The garage is locked and attached to the house. I never remove the key and nothing has happened as a result, maybe I'm just lucky?
Old 07-14-2002, 05:29 AM
Elder Member

Default There is no rhyme or reason as to which will burn out

The Audi Tech Line said this CAN burn out a Haldex, not that it will.
Old 07-14-2002, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default dick -- you've probably burned out your haldex unit, but don't know it...

after all, what possible use could quattro be in alaska?
Old 07-14-2002, 08:40 AM

Default The water pump runs and you kill the battery, I've done it twice.

Working with VAG-COM and forgetting the key. My guess is the people who have buggered up the Haldex have done more than just leave the key in the ignition. That's why you'll never see a TSB, they'll never admit to doing whatever stupid thing they did. Example having the ignition on (engine off) and hooking up a hot battery charger to the system).

Quick Reply: JohnS or anyone else.. Question regarding the problem of leaving the key in the ignition