TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Left Rear tire inner Scallop wear / noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Left Rear tire inner Scallop wear / noise

almost like a grinding bearing Does 2002 TT need a 4 wheel or can you align the rear wheels ? I have noise heard before sure enough scalloping on inner side of tire.

Can I Have the rear wheels aligned ? should that solve wear Tried to shake wheel at 12 / 6 position nothing 3/9 either

Thanks
Jaws
Old 06-16-2019, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

I doubt anyone will do rear only. Theoretically possible but most alignment machines do front and rear at same time. Don’t be surprised if rear camber cannot be brought into spec. Should be -1.5 degrees . If it is even side to side and not more than -2 degrees, that works fine. Toe out is what wears and scallops inner edge of tires. I run zero toe and - 2.5 degrees on mine but that is for track. You’ll want a bit of toe in and -2.0 to -1.5.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is no real adjustment for the rears to correct that. Buy a different brand of tires. Years ago I can't remember what brand but I used it on a couple of my other cars. I used it on my TT and within 6 months the rear tires cupped. I since they were not directional tires. I would have them unmounted and the sides switched. (I know a no no) I've been happy with Bridgestone Potenza ever since.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

There is no camber adjustment available with stock control arms but there IS toe adjustment at the trailing arm bushing mount ( item# 15). The bolt holes there are slotted allowing side to side movement. Improper toe ( too much toe out) and too low tire air pressure will cause tires to scallop inner edge. Happened to me once on a long road trip out west with a fully loaded trunk.