TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Mass Phone Call and Email Campaign to AOA.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2001, 07:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thats just it there is no line...

No standard, your at the mercy of the AoA rep and the mood he's in on that day.....Why would I flame you?
Old 05-09-2001, 07:55 AM

Default well how about this: what would you like the standard (the line) to be ?

flame suit on maybe because everyone's been so nice and friendly around here lately ? :-)
Old 05-09-2001, 08:04 AM

Default Re: well how about this: what would you like the standard (the line) to be ?

warranty revocation should exist if the mod has played a significant role in the part which is being discussed for replacement. Last time I checked a non-oem 18" wheel does not affect a DV in any way no matter what your smoking.

Also, please understand I am not the one having this problem. Chaka and BulliTT are. Everyone was so willing to discuss and show their outrage but when its time to do something about it everyone crawled in their little caves....So I it...Army of One.

Take the suit off you'll chaffe your thighs
Old 05-09-2001, 08:18 AM

Default again, not trying to be contrary .. the situation from a business point of view ?

if i owned a business that produced a sophisticated piece of equipment, and someone had made a lot of changes to it and then had problems with it, i'd have a hard time even trying to figure out if the mods had an effect.

and you know, lots of people here are covering up the fact that they have a different chip installed. i'm not slamming them .. i was thinking about doing the same thing .. but the deception makes it harder on the service people, don't you think ?

just my semi-educated opinion.

flame suit off .. you're right, it's not very comfortable (tho it is stylin' !).
Old 05-09-2001, 08:24 AM

Default I think your missing the point....

I'm not saying they shouldnt revoke warranty on single parts that may have become worn or defected by a mod. But to revoke the entire warranty due to 18" wheels isn't right. We all know the scope of business but you have to have some checks and balances. There has to be a relationship between the mod and the part in question. And I again pose the question. How does 18" wheels affect a DV?

Answer, IT DOESNT!
Old 05-09-2001, 08:30 AM

Default Unfortunately, Sandra, it's a "burden of proof issue" with VW/Audi, and the car owner is guilty...

...until proven otherwise. They deny your warranty claim, you have to sue them, they know that most people won't spend the legal fees when the repair is probably cheaper. If you do sue them, they've got a crack team of hungry lawyers on staff just waiting for your suit. VW/Audi struts in a few vehicle designers as expert witnesses, you bring in Bob from the corner gas station. You lose, you pay your lawyer, you also pay for the repair.

I have never read the TT owner's manual, but the glovebox ornaments in most of the VW's that I've owned specifically warns against using anything but the factory wheels. As a matter of fact, my 1988 GTI 16V manual even went on to say that you had to buy wheels from the dealer, because there was some [alleged] difference between factory wheels that looked identical! Yup, only an authorized VW dealer could tell the difference and order the correct replacement wheel(s).

Just as an answer to Dani's post in a thread below, they have successfully voided transmission warranties for aftermarket struts/springs. VW's official explanation of why their 02A transmissions EXPLODED in certain 1996+ VR6 applications was that there was excessive wheel hop. The wheel hop caused shock impacts on the ring gear rivets, just like an impact gun. The rivets broke, and the tranny's guts went out in search of sunlight. Obviously, changing springs/shocks could create wheel hop, which caused the tranny failure. Unfortunately, it also happened on 100% stock cars, and they denied the warranty claim on those saying that the driver was on uneven pavement or purposely spinning the tires. Again, it's their word (and any credible
engineer that they bring to the court) versus yours. [Just as a note, the general consensus on the VR6 tranny explosions was that it was caused by the Teves 20 GI traction control system, which created shocks into the differential ring gear rivets just like an impact gun.]

In case you couldn't tell yet, I've been seeing these problems with VW/Audi online since 1995, and am surprised that terms like "good-will repair" aren't in the vocabulary of everyone here already. I almost wet my pants every time that I think about that message in the archives from Larry telling people how Audi actually is *encouraging* them to mod their cars. How many people here can tell you the names of their regional OTS and DSM??? Heck, how many people even know what those abbreviations stand for???

Sorry to burst your bubble, but this is what happens. Get a lawyer, sue them, and pray that you don't lose both your legal fees *and* the repair cost. Personally, I'd sue the wheel manufacturer and company that sold them to you. Let *them* go after VW/Audi, because they'd stand a better chance of proving that their product isn't the cause of the failure. You might also want to check the SEMA (Specialty Equipment Manufacturer's Association) web site for their legal documents on aftermarket parts and your new vehicle warranty.....<ul><li><a href="http://www.sema.org/warranty/">SEMA's warranty denial FAQ</a></li></ul>
Old 05-09-2001, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

You make your mods, you take your chances, quit crying.
Old 05-09-2001, 08:41 AM

Default "You changed the rotational mass of the wheels, which placed undue stress on the drivetrain..."

VW/Audi can produce a vehicle engineer in court to say this, and that person's credentials are [most likely] much more impressive than yours.<ul><li><a href="http://www.sema.org/warranty/">SEMA's warranty-voiding FAQ</a></li></ul>
Old 05-09-2001, 08:41 AM

One word: Wow. Incredible that they've been getting away with this for this long.
Old 05-09-2001, 08:44 AM

Default OKAY...You convinced me...Not wasting my time on this ..

anymore...I have Silver 225TTR Originale. No Mods. I was trying to help, being everyone had so much to say yesterday about this issue....Lets do something more constructive....Let pick on Ebb again. What ya say a new thread on Ebb!!

Quick Reply: Mass Phone Call and Email Campaign to AOA.....