TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Mechanic for timing belt in Grand Rapids, MI ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mechanic for timing belt in Grand Rapids, MI ???

Sounds like I'm in for a lot of work. I need to hold the bill down as much as possible.

Thanks
Old 02-18-2007, 06:36 PM

Default grand rapids, you say?

When I hung out with the guys from Michigan-VW, I had always heard good things about the place on w. fulton ... they're an authorized APR dealer.

When I had my work done, I had it done in Detroit, so I can't speak from personal experience.

You're in Grandville, aren't you?<ul><li><a href="http://www.communityautomotive.com/">http://www.communityautomotive.com/</a</li></ul>
Old 02-19-2007, 03:49 AM

Default You have a good memory

Yep...Grandville. Thanks for the heads up. Dave at community auto just told me. $800 minimum and up to $1300 if there is engine damage.

I've got a call into Holland Auto.

Steve
Old 02-19-2007, 05:38 AM

Wow, those are really good numbers. A little too optimistic I think but I hope not.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default GR timing belt options

I'm looking at doing my timing belt in late March. Brad at Delta (GR Audi dealer) told me $800--$900 including the water pump; I am, of course, quite skeptical about that price. So far I've had good experiences there, but then again, my 2002 TT just got off warranty.

A friend had Community Auto do his GTI's timing belt last year and wasn't entirely happy with the experience. I'll find out what his issues were and let you know.

I've heard good things about Eurotech in Holland (http://www.eurotechofholland.com/); they do a lot of Audis. Prestige and German Auto Works are other options; I went to German years ago when I had VWs and they were good, but expensive. I'm going to check out German Motor Werks and Steve's European Automotive too, since I'm in SE MI a couple times a month and have read good things about both.

Let me know what you find out. When are you thinking of having it done? Maybe we could get a group discount!
Old 02-19-2007, 09:06 AM

Default Wow! The GR people come out of the woodwork...

I don't think I've ever seen you around here before... Where are ya? Looks like you've got a black coupe? I'm starting to feel a GR GTG coming on! I think you'll make #5 out of the few on here.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:11 AM

Default I'd say $800 is one of the cheaper prices on the board...

I had mine done at a place in metro-Detroit that works on a variety of european cars. The cost was about $650 with the water pump, but it also took about a week of not having my car.

I have heard good things about community auto, but as I recall, when I put my dual exhaust on, they were priced on par with Delta.

(By the way, I have a gmail address where I saved your old email... my memory isn't really that good)
Old 02-19-2007, 09:59 AM

Default She's in Community Auto, should have an estimate today.

I'm holding my breath and hoping they stick to their original number. I called them back to verify that by the "high end" they meant TB, water pump, tensioner/pullies, head gasket, rework head, valve replacement, etc. They said yes.

We'll see. I'll let you know.

Steve
Old 02-19-2007, 11:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default GR TTs

Oh, I've posted on here before -- even put a picture up of my TT and her siblings from Grattan last spring. But I am more of a lurker as I'm not much of a gearhead. My TT is a moro blue 180 quattro, parked almost daily at the downtown GVSU campus. (There are TTs at GVSU that I know of, both ocean blue--a 225 quattro that occasionally bunks next to mine and a FWD one in Allendale.)

Where do you get yours serviced?
Old 02-19-2007, 01:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Community Auto

Got ahold of my pal who had Community do his GTI's timing belt last year, and he said overall he was pleased with their work (both the timing and Serpentine belts were replaced). They waranteed the work, which other places he had called did not. However, they removed and did not replace the HEPA filter, so now stuff blows in, including the not so pleasant odor of that huge chicken farm along I96 near Ionia.

How did things go?

Quick Reply: Mechanic for timing belt in Grand Rapids, MI ???