TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Mic feedback when installing Nokia car kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2003, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mic feedback when installing Nokia car kit

Hi all. It's been a long time since I posted, but I finally got around to installing my Nokia car kit using the extremely helpful tech notes available at Audiworld.

Everything works perfectly with one exception - when I attempt to use the TT's internal microphone, I get some serious feedback that manifests itself in the form of a long beep. I've doublechecked all connections, but still get the problem. For now, I'm using the external microphone that comes with the Nokia kit, and everything works fine. Still, I'd like to get the Audi microphone working if possible. I've read that Audi's microphone has a preamp that overdrives kits, but I haven't read that anyone's experienced feedback.

Any thoughts are appreciated. If worse comes to worse, I'll stick with the Nokia external microphone since the speaker system and radio mute were the features I wanted the most.

NorTTon<ul><li><a href="https://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec12.shtml">Ed's tech notes (note that I did not do the optional mic circuit)</a></li></ul>
Old 01-13-2003, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I had some similar problems with the internal mike. it's an electret condensor mike that is not very

compatible with other circuitry.
your statement that you didn't use the mike compensation circutry is a key.
try this, it helped.

Also, are you getting any input at all thru the internal mike?
That is, can you caller hear you thru this mike?
Old 01-13-2003, 10:37 AM

Default Re: I had some similar problems with the internal mike. it's an electret condensor mike that is not

I will try the compensation circuitry this weekend. I'm not getting any input at all through the internal mic. This is because I'm actually unplugging the control box/RJ-45 mic connection and replacing it with an intact Nokia mic from an old car kit.

When the internal mic is connected, the caller on the other end can hear me, but barely since the beeping/feedback sound drowns me out.
Old 01-13-2003, 11:05 AM

Default Another question - Roadster and internal antenna

Hey Jeff,

Here's another question for you as a Roadster owner. Did you integrate your car kit with the internal Audi cellular antenna (mini-UHF connection behind passenger seat in roof well)? And if so, where did you run the cabling? I just looped it up and over the seatback, which is a bit ugly when the top is down. Was hoping for a cleaner way to do it.
Old 01-13-2003, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default there is an antenna connector in the cubby behind the passenger seat,

in the well where the top is stored.
it's a pain to get at, but you can run a cable from there, into the cabin.
Old 01-13-2003, 02:07 PM

Default Yes, I found the connector, question is...

Yes, I found that, my question is whether there is a more direct (e.g. hidden) way to connect an RG-58 cable from the cubby connector to my Nokia kit *without* going up and over the the back of the cabin and down into the cubby. Right now the cable is visible when the top is down, and the cable interferes with the boot cover.
Old 01-13-2003, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

well, no, you hafta route the cable behind the plastic piece behind the seats.