TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Minor Fixes

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 06:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Minor Fixes

Hello everyone; I've posted here once before and people were extremely helpful in helping me with my problems. Now that I've got everything important out of the way, I need some minor fixes. Even if you know how to help me with just one of these, all replies are appreciated.

1. Stereo Cover removal
Does anyone have a link to a good guide? I need to remove the aluminum cover for the radio, as I've installed a stereo/navigation with a screen and I cannot put it all the way in properly unless this is removed. Either way though, I'm not really liking my current stereo's settings so if you have a recommendation for a better one that fits in TT's by default that'd be great as well.

2. Instrumental cluster
I've seen a lot of posts with issues, and first, I want to know if it's worth it to fix it. Right now, the LCD works on and off, and the fuel gauge is completely broken and shows it as full even after I've driven 300 miles. Should I replace it? Where can I purchase one that works properly? How much would labor usually be?

3. Screws and holder for battery, etc
When I went to the mechanics, instead of opening the plastic screws properly, they just ripped them out and broke all the covers. They even removed the holders underneath, except for the battery. Where would I get these screw/bolts and their holders?

4. Back compartments & front
The two compartments (one which is originally used for first aid kit) in the back have snapped so they won't shut. Does anyone have a link to replacement part for this? This is also an issue with the one in the front where the gas and trunk buttons are.

5. Cruise Control
Some guy was installing my stereo for me, and he screwed up, causing a few fuses to blow out. After it, the cruise control also failed to work. I'm not sure if this is an easy fix or a thousand dollar fix, but does anyone have more information on this? Not a big deal for me personally, but if I ever decide to sell the car cruise control working would be a plus.

6. Back Speakers
The speakers in the back are not functioning, and were not functioning even with the stock stereo. I don't think they're blown out, but the wiring might be messed up. How do I get into these to check them? Once I do, do you recommend any particular 6.5" pairs I can use for good mids?

7. Screeching noise on turns
Usually happens only on right turns from the driver's side. Happens more on hot days, low speeds. Again, I don't think this is a large issue but it just gets annoying in drive-thru's and such. Where should I start looking? Tires have already been swapped out, and it's not an issue when shifting gears but it's only occurred while I'm in first or second.

8. Windshield cowl
Current one is really messed up but the only places I can find are $150~ plus I have a feeling I might break the new one while trying to install it. Have any recommendations?

9. Windshield wiper leak
There used to be a leak, and I fixed it for the windshield wipers, but the leak still occurs if I use the headlight wipers by holding it too long. Is this an easy fix? Had someone take a look, he couldn't figure it out and he wanted to start taking it apart.

Thank you so much in advance!
Old 04-14-2013, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Grave
Hello everyone; I've posted here once before and people were extremely helpful in helping me with my problems. Now that I've got everything important out of the way, I need some minor fixes. Even if you know how to help me with just one of these, all replies are appreciated.

1. Stereo Cover removal
Does anyone have a link to a good guide? I need to remove the aluminum cover for the radio, as I've installed a stereo/navigation with a screen and I cannot put it all the way in properly unless this is removed. Either way though, I'm not really liking my current stereo's settings so if you have a recommendation for a better one that fits in TT's by default that'd be great as well.

2. Instrumental cluster
I've seen a lot of posts with issues, and first, I want to know if it's worth it to fix it. Right now, the LCD works on and off, and the fuel gauge is completely broken and shows it as full even after I've driven 300 miles. Should I replace it? Where can I purchase one that works properly? How much would labor usually be?

When I went to the mechanics, instead of opening the plastic screws properly, they just ripped them out and broke all the covers. They even removed the holders underneath, except for the battery. Where would I get these screw/bolts and their holders?

The two compartments (one which is originally used for first aid kit) in the back have snapped so they won't shut. Does anyone have a link to replacement part for this? This is also an issue with the one in the front where the gas and trunk buttons are.

5. Cruise Control
Some guy was installing my stereo for me, and he screwed up, causing a few fuses to blow out. After it, the cruise control also failed to work. I'm not sure if this is an easy fix or a thousand dollar fix, but does anyone have more information on this? Not a big deal for me personally, but if I ever decide to sell the car cruise control working would be a plus.

6. Back Speakers
The speakers in the back are not functioning, and were not functioning even with the stock stereo. I don't think they're blown out, but the wiring might be messed up. How do I get into these to check them? Once I do, do you recommend any particular 6.5" pairs I can use for good mids?

Usually happens only on right turns from the driver's side. Happens more on hot days, low speeds. Again, I don't think this is a large issue but it just gets annoying in drive-thru's and such. Where should I start looking? Tires have already been swapped out, and it's not an issue when shifting gears but it's only occurred while I'm in first or second.

8. Windshield cowl
Current one is really messed up but the only places I can find are $150~ plus I have a feeling I might break the new one while trying to install it. Have any recommendations?

9. Windshield wiper leak
There used to be a leak, and I fixed it for the windshield wipers, but the leak still occurs if I use the headlight wipers by holding it too long. Is this an easy fix? Had someone take a look, he couldn't figure it out and he wanted to start taking it apart.

We need to know more info re the model of your vehicle.

Year?
180 or 225
Quattro or FWD

If FWD manual or c̶h̶i̶c̶k̶t̶r̶o̶n̶i̶c̶ sorry tiptronic
Old 04-14-2013, 11:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AudiMick
We need to know more info re the model of your vehicle.

Year?
180 or 225
Quattro or FWD

If FWD manual or c̶h̶i̶c̶k̶t̶r̶o̶n̶i̶c̶ sorry tiptronic
Oh, sorry. I added it to my garage but forgot to mention on thread. Its a 2002 Quattro 225
Old 04-16-2013, 12:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Grave

1. Stereo Cover removal

2. Instrumental cluster

5. Cruise Control

6. Back Speakers

8. Windshield cowl

9. Windshield wiper leak

I had a screeching noise when I turned both ways. Got both ball joints and roller bearings replaced. All noises stopped. The roller bearings are press on roller bearings. Runs about $30.00 per side and takes roughly 1 1/2 to 2 hours each side. Same thing with ball joints as far as pricing and time wise. As far as the windshield fluid leak goes, I was having the same issue. Found that my lower pump where the washer fluid reservoir is was cracked and leaking all my fluid. Easy fix, $15 for the pump and 1/2 an hour to take apart and put back together. If you plan on keeping this car, one of the very first things I bought was a Bentley manual to this car. It's been a lifesaver! Tells you everything from how to take the stereo out to replacing a clutch. Extremely helpful book. Highly recommend picking one up on eBay or amazon. That will run you around $75 brand new. I've seen people just go out to their local hardware store and pick up some nuts and blots for their covers under the engine. Might want to look into doing something like that. Hope this helps. Good luck man!