TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

MKii - Mod Question I'm Surprised Hasn't Been Asked

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts
Default MKii - Mod Question I'm Surprised Hasn't Been Asked

Is anyone planning on putting our front end and/or headlights on the MKii? My main complaint with that car is that it has those S2000 headlights that are, well, completely unremarkable.
Old 04-10-2006, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't jump the gun or anything

Headlights....try fitting a square peg into a trapedziodal shaped hole.

Front end, I'm sure it will just be a straight bolt on, not like the car is based off an entirely different platform or anything.

Going to probably have to wait and see what the aftermarket people come up with. The rest of us might want to wait until they are at least on sale before we start planning our mod schedule.
Old 04-10-2006, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I seriously doubt that's going to be possible. New platform means panels probably will not be

tranferable. Maybe a few odd bits and pieces like the mirrors might swap back and forth, but even if it was possible, the designs are so different that you'd end up with one weird mutant IMO.
Old 04-10-2006, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I doubt the MK I front will bolt on to the MK II because cars are different widths...

and who knows what else is different on the front. If there is a retro front it would probably have to be aftermarket. Since the demographic for the TT owner is to be expanded, I doubt that aftermarket will want to invest in the limited number of MK I persons who would be likely to buy a MK II TT, then retrofit it back to MK I front.

Also remember the platform for the MK II TT is not the same platform that the MK I TT is on.
Old 04-10-2006, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

heh, I think that's what they've already designed!
Old 04-10-2006, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default wouldn't work..

shape looks completely different for the body panels & headlights

the more pics i see the better it looks though

i just wish it had more of a 'wow' effect at first glance... I didn't get the "gotta have it" that I did when I first saw pictures of the TT from Frankfurt in 95

'evolution' is not really a bad thing though..

look at the 911.. gets better/faster/safer but most would agree that the 996 design was a disappointment whereas the 997 went back to the styling cues of the (imo beautiful) 993

perhaps the mk-III will one day go back to aluminum and dimples

as far as the headlights: the mk-II are probably better (and have optional adaptive turning)

my first mod would be a chip

cheers
Old 04-10-2006, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Heh, I don't mean bolting a factory MKi front on. . .

I just mean someone changing the headlight style to be more like the original TT instead of the s2000's it has on it now.
Old 04-10-2006, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

i think the front is aggressive (good), but also a bit more generic (bad)
Old 04-10-2006, 01:44 PM

Default Give the TT MkII a fair chance

Very few on this forum has actually seen the new TT. Our beloved model first appeared in 1998. Styles have evolved and the new TT does not attempt to be a clone of the design forward model. Instead it focuses on technology. There may be cars with more power, and perhaps, more style but the overall combination of technology and style is without peer. Wait to see the car in the sheetmetal before determining if the car should have be modified to resemble the current mode.

The evolution of the TT reminds me of the Porsche 911. For years, Porsche would slowly refine the design and platform of the evergreen 911. Interestingly, one could make an old car appear brand new by bolting on the new bumpers and other body parts. Audi should be applauded for boldly redesigning the new TT with a brand new platform and construction method. 1999 can be reduplicated in 2006--the world's change way too much.

-J
Old 04-10-2006, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

i agree about your 911 comparison...

Quick Reply: MKii - Mod Question I'm Surprised Hasn't Been Asked