TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

MNE - Have you noticed any negative effects from keeping your stock shocks? - usually a 'no-no!'(nt)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-1999, 01:33 PM
Danr

MNE - Have you noticed any negative effects from keeping your stock shocks? - usually a 'no-no!'(nt)
Old 12-10-1999, 02:17 PM
mne

Default It hasnt been a HUGE detriment, due to their newness, but I definately want better... more

I wasn't aware of how bad they really were till I removed a rear one and cycled it by hand. It was pitifully weak and of flat affect, offering little damping and ZERO rebound. The car is also prone to severe front wheel hop during accelleration from a stop... something the front shocks are at a complete loss to manage or damp. I HATE the stock shocks on this car. I want Bilsteins in a coilover configuration so I can dial in a little closer to the recall dynamic. I dont like Konis as I feel they're too harsh/hard and their damping doesnt respond as crisply as a Bilstein. A Bilstein will damp in as little as 1mm deflection and a Koni gets a free ride for over half an inch under load by virtue of its internal dynamics... it has to compress farther to start building resistence to a deflection which robs a shock of much of its ability to do its job and makes it prone to rebuild/replacement at an almost exponential rate in terms of comparison due to friction. Additionally I'm a little connected at Bilstein as they sponsored my SCCA and IMSA racing efforts for over 15 years. They dont give me any money or free shocks these days but they give me a friendly price, and I know who to call when/if something goes wrong with one. But in fifteen years, nothing ever went wrong with a single one... EVER!!
Old 12-10-1999, 02:28 PM
Just Curious

What did you race in IMSA and SCCA (nt)
Old 12-10-1999, 02:32 PM
mne

Camel Light Spice with NSX engine in IMSA and Datsun 510 in B sedan/GTII in SCCA Regional/Nat'l (nt)
Old 12-10-1999, 02:35 PM
Cliff Melick

Hey, get in your TT and go home--it's 4:30 on a Friday (your time)--for God's sake (nt)
Old 12-10-1999, 02:37 PM
mne

Silly man... I work for me... I've been home since 1:20. Just woke up and preparing to break starch (nt)
Old 12-10-1999, 02:42 PM
Cliff Melick

We all work for ourselves bottom line--but I'm 2 Blantons up on you--oh oh, is this OT? (nt)
Old 12-10-1999, 02:45 PM
mne

Touche'... I'm all over a Blantons... kinda icky with Colgate but I'll suffer thru 2 with ya (nt)
Old 12-10-1999, 02:48 PM
mne

changed my mind. 2 fingers of Remy Martin LouisXIII instead... Cognac&Colgate..mmmmm (nt)
Old 12-10-1999, 05:54 PM
Ted

Which class did you have the most seat time? (nt)

Quick Reply: MNE - Have you noticed any negative effects from keeping your stock shocks? - usually a 'no-no!'(nt)