TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Mod ShaK folks - Still have the "off-throttle vibration" on de-accel - opinions needed>>>

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2003, 05:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mod ShaK folks - Still have the "off-throttle vibration" on de-accel - opinions needed>>>

Hey all...well... after 30K miles I still have the off-throttle vibration at high rpms. The sensation feels like an out of balance tire down the center of the car. Car info:

2001 225 Q coupe.
Tires are perfect - no balance issues

I have seen the TSB regarding the Haldex flywheel, but I not positive that that may be the problem. Drive shaft bearing maybe? At higher speeds (above 80 mph) and in track conditions, the car has absolutely no handling issues what-so-ever. However, upon de-acceleration the vibration is significant and can be felt in your seat.

With this being said, does anybody have any thoughts or comments? I am very interested in any experiences or other opinions. Thanks!

cheers,
Chad A.
Old 02-27-2003, 06:13 AM
Elder Member

Default Not a Haldex "flywheel", but the actual transmission flywheel

Vishal had his replaced and it seemed to resolve the issue at first, but I think he is still having problems. Could be unrelate though.

The Flywheel issue is when letting off the gas from speed and coasting. It is that instant when you first let off and the car is not under accelleration anymore when you would first feel it. If this is when you are feeling the vibration, then it is most likely your flywheel.

In Vishal's case after his flywheel was done, he had another very bad vibration. The dealer didn't bolt on his drive shaft back to the Haldex coupling under the rear suspenion and it almost fell off! Maybe your driveshaft is also loose. Just something else to check as well.
Old 02-27-2003, 06:22 AM

Thanks Lar. I have it scheduled to go in next monday...
Old 02-27-2003, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I had flywheel replaced per TSB with no improvement in the problem whatsoever.

While I haven't quite given up yet, I am searching for other answers. Mine is a steady vibration as the RPM's drop through the 3300 to 2800 range, most noticeably in 5th and 6th gears. Hundreds of posts on this topic, and many who've had the flywheel replaced are satisfied with the fix.
Old 02-27-2003, 07:23 AM

your description of the RPM range is the same on mine. Temperature seems to affect it too...
Old 02-27-2003, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Question?....

On a Quattro, how do they align the driveshaft? Is there a flex plate or joint somewhere to allow for alignment.

Later, Brad INTT
Old 02-27-2003, 08:01 AM

Default most drive shafts have universal joints on them. Some have torque tube assemblies but >>>

we have joints. Get under the car sometime and check'em out.

Chad
Old 02-27-2003, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default lol...

Haven't you heard yet? The driveshaft in my head is loose too. bwahahahaha
Old 02-27-2003, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

OK, thanks.
Old 02-27-2003, 09:43 AM
Don

Default It worked for me....

Sonnen (Marin, CA) replaced both the flywheel and the clutch, even though they said my serial # was outside the TSB perameters. You might want to go back and have them finish the job by replacing the clutch. With the vibration occuring down through 3k rpm, it is almost certainly the cause of the vibration. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Mod ShaK folks - Still have the "off-throttle vibration" on de-accel - opinions needed>>>