TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

More bad news gang. Transmission failure #3!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-1999, 02:46 PM
Brad Willis

Default More bad news gang. Transmission failure #3!!!!!

As some of you may remember, my first transmission failed (2nd gear syncro on every shift) and the entire tranny was replaced. A couple of weeks later, that tranny also failed (periodic 2nd gear syncro grinding). Audi was going to replace that transmission as well, but instead did major surgery, replacing a number of parts including gears, syncros, etc, and they also replaced the transmission fluid with something thicker.

After that, the tranny felt much better. However, today I experienced my 3rd transmission failure. You guessed it, periodic grinding of the 2nd gear syncro about every 10-15 shifts. I did several laps around the Costco parking lot to confirm this, and there is no doubt about it. Please don't think that I don't know how to shift, or that I'm beating the thing to death, because neither would be true.

If that weren't enough, I also discovered that the chrome is coming off one of the new wheels that were just replaced 2 days ago. Obviously, these things will be repaired under warranty, but I getting p.o.ed.

A couple of months ago, I send Len Hunt a certified letter documenting some of the problems and asking Audi to extend my warranty to 100,000 miles. I said that if they can offer a standard 100,000 mile warranty on a lower end VW, then they certainly should extend the warranty of good customers purchasing a much more expensive car who have been terribly inconvenienced. I received a form letter back from a peon in Audi Customer Service telling me (in so many words) to pound sand.

If you want some interesting reading, click on "registry" at the top of your screen, then look for my name amongst the TT owners. Take a gander at my service log. Not a pretty sight! Perhaps there is a reason that we are now seeing the 6 speed transmissions for the 180 hp TT listed on the German Audi TT configurer.
Old 10-09-1999, 02:51 PM
JMaTT

Default WHAT!!!!! Man am I sorry to hear that. Good luck.....(nt)

nt
Old 10-09-1999, 03:11 PM
mne

Me too Brad... the Mobil 1 worked awhile, every 10-15 1st to 2nd shifts is grinding esp if hot (nt)
Old 10-09-1999, 06:25 PM
Joe

OUCH!!! This really IS worrysome. What'd your dealer say THIS time? (nt)
Old 10-09-1999, 08:09 PM
Dave G

Default Re: More bad news gang. Transmission failure #3!!!!!

Brad,

You like in California, right?

3 times == lemon law, right?

Good Luck
Old 10-09-1999, 09:35 PM
y2ktturbo (ivan)

Anyone notice that "mne" is having a prob with his/her TT whenever someone else reports one? (nt)
Old 10-10-1999, 04:11 AM
mne

Default "mne" Has two probs ONLY: tranny & LH window since day 1. Anyone notice y2ktturbo (ivan) ...(more)

would rather point fingers of accusation than particiapte constructively in this forum? I've had two problems with my TT Ivan... EVER! Now I'd be interested to see if you can back up what your saying with a shred of proof by pointing out to me or anyone any previous post (excluding an "on-again-off-again drivers side window malfunction OR my transmission woes)where I've had any kind of "me too" problem... just one... shouldnt be hard for one as crass/impudent and vigorously dedicated to insolence as you. ***** profoundly in YOUR court Mr Man... the archives await. God speed!
Old 10-10-1999, 07:44 AM
John J. Szobocsan

Default Sorry to hear about your transmission problems

Brad,

As you and others on this forum are aware I have encountered similar problesms with my car. Last week's post highlighted my issues with my car and my disappointment. The sad fact, after TT ownership, nothing else quite compares. While the BMW Z3, M-B SLK, and Porsche Boxster offer performance and driving experiences on par with the TT, none of these cars are as well-rounded (no pun) as the TT. The practical storage comparment and the ability to use this car everyday is the reason why I purchased it.

I expected some teething problems such as the random failure of the map lights but I did not, and will, not accept the transmission, instrument panel and steering problems many of us have had with this car. Audi is irresponsible for releasing this car to the public in such an undeveloped state. The transmission problems are design-related. There is no doubt about it. Since the temperatures have cooled, I have not had any gear grind if I travel under 50 miles at a stretch. Longer driving times equate to higher gearbox temperatures and the return of the grind. Audi will not replace my transmission without having the service technician hear the grind. Why not look at the transmission fluid for metal parts from the second gear synchromesh cone assembly.

Brad, if its any consolation at least your failures have not been complete, I'm dead on the side of the road failures. I, on the other hand, am fearful that any time I drive this car that I will suffer a complete breakdown.

Regards,

John

NM #11
Old 10-10-1999, 02:01 PM
Cliff Melick

God, I'll be picking you up for dinner in a taxi!!!!! (nt)
Old 10-10-1999, 02:25 PM
Brad Willis

Default Re: God, I'll be picking you up for dinner in a taxi!!!!! (nt)

The car is still plenty drivable. It's just that I have a periodic 2nd gear syncro grind. I'll have the car next weekend, and I also expect to have it for the SoCal TT Club meeting on the 31st. I'll have to figure out a time for the surgery to be done (again).

Quick Reply: More bad news gang. Transmission failure #3!!!!!