TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Morning all from a deeply depressed Brit.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Morning all from a deeply depressed Brit.....

Hi everybody....as the title goes, I'm on a depression - just come back from a fantastic two week vacation to sunny Florida. What a gorgeous place to live.....I am soooo envious of anybody out there who's in FL right now. I even bought 5 lottery tickets when I was over there, just keeping my fingers crossed that I could win loads-a-money and stay !! But hey, all I won was a hoooge $59.50. I did check the local homes-for-sale book, buy couldn't find anywhere for this amount....so hey, looks like I'll have to keep saving.

Anyways, just thought I'd pop in to say Hi. I'll probably pop back into bed in a couple of hours as I'm completely jet-lagged and have to go back to (am I aloud to swear ?) WORK tomorrow.

Speak to you all soon,

Krim
Old 09-06-2006, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Where in Florida were you?
Old 09-06-2006, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Just put the nipple on the bourbon bottle and go to bed. :&gt
Old 09-06-2006, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

St Petersburg/Clearwater i believe and disney
Old 09-07-2006, 02:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sorry for the delay in responding - I was in St. Pete's (Hotel) for the 1st week,

and Kissimmee (Villa) for the 2nd week.

Both places were absolutely perfect, and I soooo want to be back there right now.

Everything just went really perfect. The Hotel (The Sirata) was on the beachfront, and we had rooms overlooking the sea - absolutely drop dead gorgeous views.

I am just sooooo envious of all you peeps who are living in Florida right now. I just couldn't fault the place. We were playing a game called "spot the litter".....probably can count on one hand as to how much was lying around over the two weeks. And everybody is just soooo nice over there...even the little kids were holding doors and apologising...you really wouldn't find that over here.

Just a couple of things confused me though :

1. Why is it that tax isn't added on to stuff when it's marked up, as this is going to be the final price you have to pay ?

2. What's with the 'you have to pay for fuel before you fill up' ? How do I know how much will fill up my car ?
Old 09-07-2006, 02:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

LOL.....now THAT is a good idea
Old 09-07-2006, 03:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Glad you enjoyed yourself

I have not spent much time in St. Pete so I can't say how folks are there but it is mostly known for its large senior population, more so than most other areas.

Not to burst your bubble about Floridians but I've lived here 20+ years have seen a general lack of courtesy in people, with exceptions. Your experience may be unique to the area you visited. Orlando, where I live now, was just rated angriest US city by Men's health magazine.

You were in Kissimmee for a week and didn't see litter? Really? I'm surprised. You didn't see any billy-bob rednecks in their pick-ups driving down the road discarding trash out their window? Amazing, because I see that a few times a week.

I assume you were at Disney since you stayed in Kissimmee. Any memorable experiences there, other than them draining your wallet? Their good at that.

1. Not sure what you mean by that question about, can you give an example?

2. You have to pay 1st because certain people are dishonest a$$holes and drive off without paying or are just dirt poor and resort to crime. Solution is to use a credit card at the pump.
Old 09-07-2006, 04:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That does surprise me about the general lack of courtesy you find in people

over there...I've been to FL 5 times now and can't say I've met a horrible person yet - I even stood on a blokes foot last year and HE apologised to ME ?!? How odd ! Although, you must know more about general life over there than me, having lived there for 20+ years.

I'll tell you what TTreker, come over to Britain - you'll find litter on every street corner AND in between. Kisssimmee was REAL clean compared to Bristol, UK. I can honestly say hand on heart that I didn't spot any litter.

Disney - now that was a good experience this year....hardly any queues at all....maximum had to be about 20 minutes. We done a 1 day hopper in between Epcot and Magic Kingdon. Done the Soarin' ride in Epcot (twice) - bloody amazing....gotta be done if you go there. Spent all day just hopping from Epcot to MK, and then back to Epcot on the night for the fireworks. Done Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon again - I absolutely love the Lazy River part of 'em....just lie back and watch the world go by (and your skin go lobster red !!). We also done Busch Gardens when we were down St. Pete's. Did do it before, but this time we went on the Rhino Rally - pretty good, but not all that. Done Cypress Gardens for the first time this year (probably the last)....really impressive gardens, beautiful settings, but a load of the rides weren't in action ?!

That was about it for the Disney parks this year.

The thing about the tax is that every time we went into a shop, or a restaurant as such the price which was marked up on the thing you buy or pay for is just the price before tax. So you always have to work out how much extra it's gonna cost WITH tax. Why don't they just mark it up with the tax added on already if this is what we have to pay ?
Old 09-07-2006, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Ahhh, I understand now

Don't know why that is but it's the same everywhere is the US. Sales tax rates vary from State to State and even county to county so it may be easier for retailers to just mark the price and let the local tax rate be computed at the register.

My wife and I have annual passes to Disney so we go there a lot. We live only 20 minutes away. We usually go to Epcot and work our way around the World Showcase. I've done Soarin about a dozen times now. Still awesome but the novelty is starting to wear off. Did you hit Rose & Crown pub? There is actually a regular crowd of locals there every Sunday.

Next time you are here drop me line, we can meet up. I hope to make it the the UK sometime, I think we are doing Germany next year though.
Old 09-07-2006, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Aha, that makes more sense to me now - in the UK we only have one tax

rate at 17.5% (robbing Government). Thanks for the info, I can go and explain that to the rest of the family as that's something that has always confused us. I did kinda think that was the reason for the payment at the fuel pumps, but I could just see myself pi$$ing off the attendant when I keep going back for another few dollars worth.

I did wonder if people who lived near Disney would ever bother going. How much do you pay for an annual pass (being nosey now) ?

I must have missed the Rose & Crown pub, although it does sound familiar <scratching head>. Is that the actual one in Epcot, cuz I had a beer from them a few years ago and it nearly cost me all my holiday money....LOL

That'll be cool to meet up - I did keep my eyes peeled for any TT's out there, but only spotted three in total. One was a silver one parked up at Fort DeSoto.

I've never done Germany, but have heard good reports on it so that should be a good time. I made a vow never to bother going back to the US just cuz of the flight time (9 hours), but now that I'm back here I couldn't care if it was 19 hours. Maybe I'll look into trying California next year ? We'll see....but for now I'll be looking for my TT

Quick Reply: Morning all from a deeply depressed Brit.....