TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

My First Mod/Upgrade Suspension! Please see if I got it right, advice appreciated :)

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My First Mod/Upgrade Suspension! Please see if I got it right, advice appreciated :)

Ok guys so I have done all my research (I think) and now I'd like to see what everyone here thinks.

I would like to tighten up the handling of the car make it crisp, smooth and comfortable nothing dramatic.

I live in LA so the roads can get pretty rough and I use my car as a daily driver and take it on the twisties to PCH on weekends.

So about the car, its a 01' 225 with 80k, runs perfect and I love it!

Here is my list of things I want to do and my options, please help out

1. Suspension and Springs

I've basically come down to Bilstein HD or Koni FSD.

I think I am going to stick with stock springs, unless you guys can convince me it will improve ride quality to change them, which is most important to me.

The main reason I hesitant on springs is because I don't need to lower the car and want to avoid camber and other tunning issues, but please chime in if you think I'm wrong.

Over all I think I am leaning towards the FSD's, because the roads here are rougher and I hate having that wheel bounce over the bumps I just want to absorb everything! From what I'v read the FSD's are more forgiving, BUT I have not seen anyone with FSD's on stock springs where the HD's are proven on stock springs so I'm torn a.t.m!

2. Defcon

2 or 3???? that's my only question, again I want the car to be smooth, crisp and comfortable.

3. Rear Sway Bar

Any down side to getting a 19mm Neuspeed? iv heard the rear can become over powering in response but I'm hoping along with Defcon it will balance out?
I don't really think I want to replace the front sways, unless again I can be convinced

4. Other

Did I miss anything? here is the list of other etc. stuff I'm going to replace:

Upper Strut Bushings and Bearings (OEM)
Lower Control Arm Rear Bushings (OEM)
Front Sway Bar Bushings (Poly)
Dog Bone Mount (Poly)

Thanks for the time.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts
Default I think yours is a good plan.

I am doing almost the same. One difference is that I am using Koni Sports. I have Defcon 2 and 19mm rear bar to install too. Already have strut bushings and bearings. I don't plan to do dogbone bushing as I have heard complaints of harshness - vibration. Doesn't seem necessary unless one is doing hard launches. Anyway , as soon as I get my backordered Defcons I'll report in and let y'all know my impressions of my similar setup. I have to decide how to set the rear shocks before install. You would not have to do that with FSD but I hope to set rear a bit firmer in rebound than front. hopefully this will help to reduce understeer a bit. I do wonder if I will actually like this though as it seems to me that this will only be noticeable on less than perfect pavement. Not sure I want the rear to step out over bumpy pavement.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:24 PM

Hey I'm in L.A. too, where at?
Old 07-31-2007, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thousand Oaks Area what about you?

I plan on taking it to Mike Rooney at Ingolstadt West.

Nice Ride by the way, beautiful.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sounds good, let me know how it turns out, ill do the same
Old 07-31-2007, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Some comments -->

New shocks... i liked the results from reading about FSDs, seemed to solve a lot of issues for your driving style. At 80K, you know the OEMs are shot. This will make a big difference.

Defcons... Doesn't change the neutrality of the car, just the crispness of turn in. Some would argue that point, but that's my experience. I find that neutral is pretty hard to get to. Since you'll have the arms off, change the rear bushing while you're in there.

Swaybar... I went with H&R because they are adjustable and have bushings that do not require lubrication. Very well done and I have actaully used the adjustment. You'll have to drive at the limit in controlled conditions to see where the limits are, you'll be surprised at what you consider to be oversteer is actually just less understeer. It's really hard to get the rear to swing out. Front swaybar is just going to control roll and make the car understeer more, but if you compensate in other ways, you can do it.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:53 PM

Default Thanks -->

There's a few TT guys out here in the L.A. area, and we'd definitely love to have you join us at our get-togethers and canyon runs. We're actually planning a Malibu photoshoot soon, you should come with. We're going to take a bunch of rolling shots with the coast in the background
PM if you're interested.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My 2 cents - I went with the Bilstein/Eibach combo after reading the forum>>>

I was never unhappy with the stock TT suspension but thought it was a little harsh over the rough bits. In Ohio there are rough bits, trust me on this.

The Combo I bought was from Schwing's car as he was de-modding before selling it. The setup I bought and he installed (thanks again Steve!) had about 40k on it. Let me just say this - even though it is a about 1" lower, the ride and handling are vastly improved. At the time of the swap my car had 33k on it and the 40k B/E setup was a huge improvement. I was a little concerned at first that the concurrent upgrade from 17" to 18" wheels would cause some increase in impact harshness, but the end result is just the opposite.

My car is MORE comfortable to drive, while steering inputs and motion control are much better. So much better in fact that I've bought the 19MM neuspeed rear bar and have no fear that it will do anything bad to the ride and/or handling.

Others here have gone the Koni route. I think InTTruder (Ted) did the Koni thing just before Quattro de Mayo this year and likes that setup.

Frankly I wish I hadn't waited so long to make this upgrade. Do it and enjoy it!
Old 07-31-2007, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

timing belt done yet?
Old 07-31-2007, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

yes at 65k

Quick Reply: My First Mod/Upgrade Suspension! Please see if I got it right, advice appreciated :)