TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

My thesis on Open Element air filters.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 12:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My thesis on Open Element air filters.

I have messed around with this idea and have found IMO the best way to do it. Now I am in no way trying to insult Modshack's products. I think if you have the money to buy one then go right ahead and get it. This thesis is primarily to the people who are in college or are kinda short in money, like myself.

This is on a 180 coupe. I played around with just taking the top of the air box and running a Spectre filter. That was a bust. When you got on the highway for a while and gunned it it feel like you were breathing through a paper bag. It ran slow. So I returned the filter and put the top back on.

In my latest effort I took off the whole airbox and snorkle and put a Spectre cone filter on. I took it out and it ran great. You can REALLY hear the turbo and blow-off. Which sounds SWEET. lol. I then when on a 90 mile trip to work resetting the average mpg and mph. I look at the averages when I got home after the 180 mile total round trip. The Average Speed was 67 mph and Average Mileage was 30.5 mpg. I know ya'll are saying that is a lose in stock mpg, but you need to hear some important details. At one point in the trip I was going 95 mph passing a few car down a two lane road. Plus the temp was 103 degrees that day. So the filter might have been head soaked a little.

A cooler (temp) test was taken a few day later after a rain. I made a 233 mile trip to my girlfriends parents house. On the way I did open the hood up for about 5 seconds. however the temp never got over 80 on my drive. I forgot to rest the Average mph and mpg before I left but I could tell that I got the same if not better gas mileage on the trip by the of my gas needle. I usually have around 3/4 a tank and when I got there I had over 3/4 a tank.

Thats my thesis and Im sticking to it. lol

Take it for what it's worth or just ignore it. I personally like it and am going to keep it on there. I might buy a **** later on, to add more air, but for now im happy.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:25 PM

Default Uhhhhh? Huh?

So when you took the airbox and snorkle off what airfilter were you running?
Old 08-17-2006, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default None.

It's mad tight, yo.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

OH YEA, forgot to put that. A Spectre cone filter
Old 08-17-2006, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm not sure what your thesis is. I wouldn't trust my fuel gauge for any sort of linear readings

You did experience the two reasons people don't run open cone intakes on TTs tho, heat soak and the noise.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Autozone huh?.....Might want to read...>

<ul><li><a href="http://www.miata.net/products/intex/spectre.html">This review...</a></li></ul>
Old 08-17-2006, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default & I wouldn't trust the cluster readout for mpg readings at all.

Mine is always high compared to actual measured mpg. I suppose it might be ok to use as a comparitive measure, but not between cars.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The noise is bad why? I LOVE THE NOISE
Old 08-17-2006, 01:16 PM
Elder Member

Default back in my college days...when i had no money, i drove a VW bug and didn't have a nice

car then. compared to college kids today...its like me having a Porsche 914-6 then.

as far as the OEM filter...pop a few large holes on the bottom of the stock airbox...it'll probably be alot better than the Spectre cone filter. and if you can afford $45, by a real K&amp;N filter to replace the stock one.

with the price of gas, the K&amp;N filter is relatively inexpensive over the life of the filter.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

This one time @ band camp ..........

Quick Reply: My thesis on Open Element air filters.