TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Near miss

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-1999, 05:51 PM
PeterK

Default Near miss

At work today, an announcement came over the paging system "will the person with the Nissan license plate blah blah come to security immediately, then repeated 10 minutes later. I thought nothing of it but was glad the they didn't announce my plate and paid it no further attention.

As I left for lunch and walked toward my TT parked at the far end of the parking lot where several enthusiasts also park their cars, I saw a local police officer and work security standing near my car. My heart raced a bit. When I neared and saw that my car was O.K. I said to the officers, "Hey you know you guys make me nervous standing so close to my car, I started to wonder if someone tried to steal it" Well in Maine, if someone steals a car, it's practically news at 6 and 11pm - there's just so little crime here, that a howling cat on a fence makes headlines. Anyway, they replied, "You don't know how luck you are!"

Well what happened is that a worker from another office came to ours on business and failed to set the parking brake; he had parked at the top of the lot and we all park at the bottom, not much slope but enough. His car had rolled across the lot and passed between my TT and a light pole, jumped the curb and rolled down a ravine into the woods. For where I park, my TT must have seem it coming, moved over to let the unoccupied Nissan pass and moved back into my parking space. Really it HAD to be inches at best! I'm feeling pretty fortunate it missed otherwise there might have been some real news to report and a picture of a chalkline on the pavement. Think I'll find another space tomorrow.
Old 09-01-1999, 09:45 PM
Victor F

YIKES! (nt)
Old 09-02-1999, 04:30 AM
WallyL

Default Re: Near miss

Keep it in one piece Peter so we can meet at the Owls Head show in October.