TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2002, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice

I would like to purchase an Audi TT on the next couple of months, but don't know which version to get. I would like to get my hands on the 225hp version, but might be financially limited to the lower output version. Is the 225hp version really worth the extra money (I think it's 5 or 6K more right?) or is there stuff i can do with aftermarkets to get the lower output version better down the road. Any input would be helpful, thanks.
Old 04-02-2002, 08:47 PM

Default Opinion:

You're going to fall even more in love with the car after you get it then you are right now.

I think some people have regretted getting the 180 over the 225 and some haven't. Personally, I would get the 225 over again if given the choice.

You can mod the 180 and a lot of people have done it pretty well, talk with LarryTT. If you can't afford the 225, the 180 is still a TT and you'll still be stuck with a damn grin on your face for a long time =).
Old 04-02-2002, 09:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default My 2 long cents, get the 225, if you can't afford new, really look at slightly used...

With good research you no doubt could find a perfect slightly used 225 for several thousand off. I researched the car I have on the Audi USA site under previously owned and Audi Assured cars. I got mine in Mass, even though I live in Chicago. Did it over the net and by phone with Dan Gallagher at Ira Audi in Danvers, MA [DanG@IraMotorGroup.com]. He actually deals with web based purchasing, can locate what you want, ship it, or you can pick it up...(great drive by the way), and you can get a great deal through him (he gave me some extras that essentially paid for my flight for the wife and I and our bed and breakfast on the coast. Try it. The Audi Assured program actually gives you an extended warranty beyond the original warranty which keeps you safe. I bought my other Audi (a Cabrio) 5 years ago that was a demo with 2000 miles on it for 10,000 less than new (still in the same model year) at a dealer in Chicago before I got my TT used from Dan (I was hunting for a special edition TT).
Old 04-02-2002, 09:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I've owned both. The 225 IS worth it imo. 45 extra hp and a slick 6-speed gear box.
Old 04-02-2002, 09:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

If you people are in my time zone I think we should all go to bed (this is adictive)
Old 04-02-2002, 09:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

EST.. yeah, I should have been in bed an hour ago..
Old 04-02-2002, 09:09 PM

Default Re: My 2 long cents, get the 225, if you can't afford new, really look at slightly used...

How does the payment system work with this person. Does he lease, or do only purchases to own? And how much would a shipment cost around, since I live in Colorado. I'm also guessing that he gives great deals since you found him in MA. Please enlighten me a little more if you can about this method of purchase.
Old 04-02-2002, 09:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default More info...

Either lease or purchase, doesn't matter, just like buying from any dealer. All I had to do was have insurance coverage starting the date I picked up the car and then immediately get a temp tag when I got home with the title. Mass doesn't issue them for out of state and IL doesn't give them out without the title. I took a tag off my other car and drove it back with that on it. Figured I could explain the Catch 22 to any cop. I had to pay the sales tax in IL. I did the research on that and got the right forms from the secretary of states office off the web, and filled it out ahead of time and had Dan fill out the parts that the dealer needed to. I had Dan set up the financing and do the paper work. I did a little research but he was actually able to get a better interest rate than I was at my own bank or anywhere in Chicago. In other words I just showed up, signed the papers and drove off to enjoy the coast that night ( a Friday, easy trip from the airport) and started driving back the next day. The shipping at another dealer I was talking to about another car (same limited edition #84, but I got mine #25 for 4 grand less with fewer miles and better service from Dan) had qouted me something like $800 for the shipping, but as I negotiated with them they essentially would have shipped the car for the same asking price. We did the drive on a three day weekend...great way to have fun and get used to the car even if it is Colorado...have you seen Niagra Falls...great drive.
Old 04-02-2002, 09:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I think I would get the 225 now... but when I got mine there was no 225

I made it up with another car :-)
Old 04-02-2002, 09:33 PM

Default Re: More info...

Thanks for the info....I'll have to try and give this guy an email.

Quick Reply: Need advice