TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Need a question answered because I am an idiot when it comes to the inner workings of cars. Is it

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2002, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a question answered because I am an idiot when it comes to the inner workings of cars. Is it

true that since I installed H&R sport springs on my 2002 TT that I will eventually have to install aftermarket shocks and struts as well so that I do not ruin my stock shocks? I am leasing this car so I will have to turn it back in and I think I will be charged if I turn it in with ruined shocks. After all, I still have 3 years left on the lease. Will I definitely have to install new shocks? Thanks for the help.
Old 02-01-2002, 10:12 AM
Elder Member

Default You will definitely kill the stock Monroes with the new spring rate.

Heck, they die in a matter of months w/ the OEM springs. Unfortunately, you should have done the dampers WHEN you did the springs because it's a expensive job and the work is duplicated, at least in front, for both springs and dampers.
Old 02-01-2002, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

It is likely that the new springs will gradually degrade the shocks & need replacement.
Old 02-01-2002, 11:21 AM

Default Maybe. It depends on the driving. If the dampers work harder due to...

lots of uneven or rough roads, they will wear out faster even with stock springs than if most of the driving is on smooth interstates.

The opinion that OEM dampers are shot in a few miles may be slightly(?) exaggerated. In our case, 20K and no problems.

The slightly higher spring rates of your H&R's (vs. stock) do store more energy when compressed so they do make the dampers work a bit more in rebound, BUT, that extra spring rate also prevents the suspension from moving as far in bump, so the dampers may work less overall.

Remember dampers are velocity driven devices: it's the speed of the stroke and the length of the stroke that wears them (and perhaps other things) out.

The biggest reasons to change dampers when you change springs is because spring rates and damper rates should be matched to achieve the ride/handling desired. In your case, you probably haven't upset the balance much. The second reason to change dampers for a lowered vehicle, is that you may be getting into the bump stops or the extreme end of the bump (compression) travel of the dampers if you are significantly lowered. I'd say anything over 30 mm (1.2 inches) could start to be a problem. At 50 mm (2 inches) lowered shorter dampers might be a very good idea.

IMO, if you are not unhappy with the ride/handling of the stock shocks, keep them. They may last you the whole lease. Let your dampers tell you when they need changing.

My $.02