TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Need some help with my Headlight washers (aliens)! Schwing, HouTTni, Michael? Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2002, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need some help with my Headlight washers (aliens)! Schwing, HouTTni, Michael? Anyone?

Yesterday I went to the dealer to pick up my car after having my rear brake system totally replaced (I smoked them last weekend - warranty covered the repair).

Anyway the mechanic told me that the intermittant warning light on my dash that was indicating a lack of window washing fluid was an indicator of a bad sensor in the fluid reservoir. He then demonstrated that the washers did indeed work... by spraying water all over the clean car from the windshield washers.

As it was dark, he had the lights on and unfortunately, the "aliens" did not open and spray. We then tried to diagnose the problem.

1. Plenty of fluid in the reservoir
2. Motors located near each alien were working (we could hear them).
3. The "alien" covers did not open at all.
4. No fluid was draining onto the ground from the aliens.
5. When we manually opened the cover, no fluid was present on or near the nozzles.

So, what the heck is up??? By what mechanism do the alien covers open? Could the fluid lines be connected, but another 'actuator' be disconnected therefore causing the motor to work but the panel to not open and therefore not spray?

I hope I am being clear here, but I am trying to figure out what may be the cause for this...my front-end has been off once - when a body shop removed it to paint my front end and replace a front quarter panel.

Ideas? I want my aliens back! :-)
Old 09-12-2002, 09:10 AM

Default Since you did not mention me by name, I am not helping =-X

Actually, I dont think that there are individual motors for each, I think it is just one motor, the aliens are *actuated* by water pressure, if the pressure is not there, then they will not extend out or open the door.

I would look for a leak in the hose or maybe they are not connected
Old 09-12-2002, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

You mean you've actually had your front-end off too? :-P Sorry.
Old 09-12-2002, 09:14 AM

maybe once or twice =-P
Old 09-12-2002, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm no help
Old 09-12-2002, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Typical for a Vortexer. :-)

Just Kidding!!!
Old 09-12-2002, 09:36 AM

Default The doors are pushed open by alien nozzles, when they move outward .You can open them manually..

they are nothing more than spring loaded trap doors.

:>
Old 09-12-2002, 09:36 AM

Default i dont think the washers have motors in them...-->

they are pressure activated, by the small pump near the water reservoir (visible if u remove the wheel well liner). sounds like the hose from the resevoir to the aliens is disconnected or blocked. try unplugging the hose between the drive-side alien and the resevoir and see if water drips/pours out...

u could also disconnect the hose at various locations and activating the aliens to see if lotsa water gushes out, allowing you to test for blockages.

sounds like an interesting problem. might be easier to diagnose if i could play around with it =)

anybody else got good ideas?
Old 09-12-2002, 09:44 AM

Man, you MUST be desperate if you're asking Scott! lol
Old 09-12-2002, 09:47 AM

Default I have a stupid question, was the car running/key in the ignition all the way to the right?

thought mine were broken when I first got my TT, then realized that the the key had to be in the ignition and all the way to the right and/or started.

Quick Reply: Need some help with my Headlight washers (aliens)! Schwing, HouTTni, Michael? Anyone?