TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Negative Camber at the rear after installing Coilovers on my TT

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 09:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Negative Camber at the rear after installing Coilovers on my TT

Hello;

I just installed Bilsteins PSS9 coilovers and the rear has a definite negative camber. It is not excessive but it is definitely noticeable, but the front looks fine. The shop that installed them, which is very reputable, said that is normal and I shouldn't worry. I dropped it about 1" lower than stock. The car feels great no problems what so ever, alignment is great; they do 4 wheel computerize alignment.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

I was also thinking of putting on 8MM wheel spacers on the rears only just to bring the wheels out slightly since the negative camber make it seems slightly more inside the fender.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Kindest Regards.
awc.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Kind of hard to give any advice without knowing what your actual alignment specs are

There is NO camber adjustment on the rear suspension on the TT so you're probably way out of spec.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default rule of thumb: if you lower the car, at ALL, you absolutely need camber correction

the rear of the car doesn't have any camber correction, and at stock ride height is around -2 degrees, so you're probably at -4 or more now.

Get [at least] a half KMAC kit from SHOX.com or ttstuff and have them put em on.

if you plan on going lower than an inch below stock, get a full kit. should run you less than $300 for the full kit.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Kind of hard to give any advice without knowing what your actual alignment specs are

Thanks for your response.

Yes, you are correct I always knew that there was no camber adjustment on the rear for the TT. I guess being 'out of spec' in the rear is the norm once you drop the car.

In terms of actual alignment specs no, I don't have them. I guess I can take it to a shop and have it measured.

Other than the tire wear, is there any downside for having the negative camber. The car is used for recreational but spirited driving on a weekend, no racing. I put an average of 1,500 miles per year. It's a 2001 with 10,000 miles.

Thanks.
awc.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 252 Likes on 212 Posts
Default 1500 miles per year!

Gosh without camber correction you probably won't get more than 7 or 8 years out of a set of tires :-)

Seriously, you probably won't notice any other side effects. there is the potential for the inner edge of the tires to get wavy and noisy, but you are probably on the OEMs at 10,000 mi anyway. You NEED to wear those out soon.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Being out of spec isn't the norm if you properly lower the car

There are many options available to adjust rear camber, whether you're lowered alot or at factory ride height.

And yes, there is a downside to having alignment out of spec besides tire wear, the car will handle like crap. I used to run fairly high rear camber on my car and was mostly out of spec everywhere. Recently had it aligned to what the general consensus here is and it's night and day different. So much more responsive, adjustable and fun to drive.

Front camber: -0.8
Rear camber: -1.6

Front toe: 0
Rear toe: 1/16th inch in
Old 10-06-2008, 12:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: 1500 miles per year!

Actually I just changed my tires not from being worn (the threads were like new) but because they were just plain old.

I probably will eventually get the camber kit for the rear.

Thanks very much for your input.

Kindest Regards.
awc.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: rule of thumb: if you lower the car, at ALL, you absolutely need camber correction

Hello Colbe;

In terms of the camber offset you are probably right. I do race an Acura Integra and my camber is about -5 and I know my TT rear is not as much so is probably about -4. I absolutely DO NOT plan on going lower, I probably would raise it 1/2" if I do anything.

I would definitely look into getting the half KMAC kit probably in another month or two.

Thanks mate; I appreciate it.

Kindest Regards.
awc.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Read...>>

<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/tt/msgs/1101053.phtml">for an overview</a></li></ul>
Old 10-06-2008, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

you bet. best wishes!

Quick Reply: Negative Camber at the rear after installing Coilovers on my TT