TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

New Member and some basic questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member and some basic questions

New member here. I'm a gar guy, always have been. I run several HPDE's each year (2017 Corvette) and instruct occasionally.

My grandson is turning 14, and he his an aspiring car nut himself. We are looking for a project car for me and he to bring up to the rigors of a teen driver when he gets his license. He really likes the look of the TT. Our plan is to slowly look for a good candidate and then he will spend the summer with me and his grandmother while we work together. I plan on him doing all the work with my guidance. He helps me with prepping my car for the track, hanging with me for the whole transition (brake rotors, pads, bleed brakes, alignment). He is a lot of help with alignments as my align tools are homemade.

My question to the experts is what to look for and what to avoid.

We aren't looking for a DOA project, rather one that is now road worthy that we together fix up. I do have a good facility, a 2 1/2 car garage with 2-post lift. He is leaning towards the roadster, and it will largely be his choice. He's saving for it right now, and I plan to match anything he saves for a purchase. He is a good saver and has just over $1k saved, so I expect he will hit $2k by summer. I see older road worthy TT's in the $4k range, but haven't looked at one yet.

Thanks in advance
Old 02-14-2019, 02:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of my first cars as a teen was an Austin Healey Sprite, loved that bugger. Easy to fix, had enough power to get out of my own way
but not be a handful. Girls loved it too. I miss that little zipper.
If a TT is what he's looking for, a Mark 1 2000 to 2005 would be a good one, front wheel drive 180 hp. Less to deal with than the Quattro with
it's transfer case and drive. Good engines, simple and can be powerful with some work. Electrics are not too complicated, loads of plastic that will
be brittle after 15 years. Parts are easily found.
If you can find one that the top has been replaced or is in good shape that would be a bonus. The back glass is known to separate and leak water
into the cabin.
The timing belt is another area that demands attention, replace it every 60-75 K miles. It is an interference engine, if the belt breaks damage to valves,
pistons, and possibly block can be possible.
Good luck with your search, he'll dig it and never forget his first ride!
Old 02-15-2019, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info. I've done a couple timing belts, so that would be a good project to add. I found an older post as well that has some good info. We will probably be asking more questions as this project materializes.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts

Scroll down to the "badly bought TT" thread and read my post there. It may be on the second page. Your question is asked and answered about every 2 weeks.
Old 02-16-2019, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I found your post and it is informative. After finding yours I went through several pages of old posts. It seems normal due diligence with just a few "gotchas" is what is needed. It is always buyer beware, and an informed buyer removes some disadvantages in any purchase.

Thanks!