TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

New owner. I've looked arround can't find an answer.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 11:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner. I've looked arround can't find an answer.

Hello to everyone,

I just got a 2003 audi tt 225 molonite gray about 2 months ago with only 91xxxmi. I have been enjoing the car, but I would like to mod it a little. I looked around the forum and found that the best bang for buck is a remap; however, I have some questions on regards to supporting mods.

I know that a tune up, upgraded DV, gas filter are suggested before hand, but I would like to know if a 3'' exahust would be worth doing or if the stock one is fine. I plan to get a k&n high flow filter (apparently the stock intake has good flow) a 3'' downpipe, a high flow CAT and an APR remap (not sure yet if APR, any suggestions would be appreciated). I don't want to get a bigger turbo because this is my daily and I would like to keep it reliable without having to get internals.

If you have any more suggestions other than the exaust I'm glad to hear them. I would like to get the most out of the stock BEA engine (the closest to 300hp and still reliable), so what do you guys/gals suggest? Thank you for the help.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

No one?

I Just want to know if it's worth getting bigger exahust tubbing without upgrating the turbo. I wont go past stage 1.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

My opinion ( based on experience) is that a cat back exhaust is worth doing for a throatier sound ( I have Borla on the coupe) but I really couldn't measure any performance gain when I did a 3" downpipe. My coupe is APR 93 tuned. ( has been for 12+years). My baseline for measurement is a 40mph-80mph 3rd gear pull. The coupe does that in 6.1 sec. The downpipe did not change that measurably and installation is a pain.
Do stage 1 and a cat back then move to suspension and brakes.
My roadster is pure stock and as I compare the two cars back to back, I notice these differences as much as I do the power difference.
Don't be surprised if you have to replace the MAF after you tune it. Increased airflow can reveal a weak MAF sensor. Be sure you have fresh spark plugs gapped to .028 on a chipped car. Coil packs can fail if you don't.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the reply. I have been doing more research and decided to do all the mods mentioned and a custom map to try and squeeze the most hp out of the BEA with the stock ko4. Do you have any suggestions in order to achieve this? I kinda want to get arround 280hp (or more), but I have to stick with 91octane gas because that is the highest we have where I live. Is this doable or just a pipe dream?
Old 06-22-2017, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Most everyone who tries for maximum hp upgrades to a front mounted intercooler. I did not as I track the car and wished to maximize engine cooling. I do have a high capacity 3 row radiator. My advice is, Don't go too far and make the car unenjoyable. There is always something faster.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I think you are right "there is always something faster", and this car is my daily afterall; therefore, I'll do just do the catback and remap. I'll spend the money in suspension/brakes, and just try to lighten the car instead. Thank you for your help.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Cool, keep us posted on the remap you choose. I talked to APR about my roadster recently and they still recommend a soldered chip for their Mk1 TT programs due to inadequate memory in our ECUs. They don't do that work anymore at their headquarters here in Alabama and referred me to a dealer. I don't have one nearby so I probably won't do that. These cars are old and demand is low for performance mods for them. I broke a Hotchkiss tubular rear sway bar last year and could not find another 19mm bar anywhere. Ended up with a 21 and set it to soft. Luckily that works fine with my 25 mm front bar set to medium.