TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

New TT owner

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 07:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New TT owner

Hi! Thanks for welcoming me to your group. I am a 60 year old retired mechanic, and I have recently purchased a 2003 Audi TT Quattro......On the rear bumper it has the letters TTS, S Line, and APR Stage II. I am a former VW Porsche Audi factory master registered tech (from the late 90s), and this little car is thrilling me beyond expectations. I left the dealership when we received our first Nieman Marcus FWD Audi TT, and this recent purchase of mine seems head and shoulders above that. If someone could explain what I have I would be extremely grateful. It would give me a starting point, on what upgrades I might want to purchase (Brakes, etc.)....Thanks.....Mike
Old 10-15-2018, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts

The TTS did not exist until the Mk 2 so that lettering is bogus and casts suspicion on everything else. The S-Line was cosmetic changes except lowering the suspension 20mm. It was first offered in Europe in 2003 MY but I don't remember when it was first offered in the US. Go to the APR site to learn bout Stage II. Hard to make recommendations without knowing what engine and aftermarket mods you might already have.
Old 10-15-2018, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Let us know the engine code from the lettering etched on the cylinder hear protrusion.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Vegas-roadster
The TTS did not exist until the Mk 2 so that lettering is bogus and casts suspicion on everything else. The S-Line was cosmetic changes except lowering the suspension 20mm. It was first offered in Europe in 2003 MY but I don't remember when it was first offered in the US. Go to the APR site to learn bout Stage II. Hard to make recommendations without knowing what engine and aftermarket mods you might already have.
Sorry for the delay, but I was in the hospital. I purchased my car, from a German doctor, who said he brought it over with him, after he retired. So it may very well be a European grey market car. It does have OBDII, and passed emissions, where I live. When I get to feeling better, I will post the number on the head. He did give me a file folder full of maintenance documents, which I am still looking through. Thank you for the information....Mike
Old 10-23-2018, 05:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mrplow58
Sorry for the delay, but I was in the hospital. I purchased my car, from a German doctor, who said he brought it over with him, after he retired. So it may very well be a European grey market car. It does have OBDII, and passed emissions, where I live. When I get to feeling better, I will post the number on the head. He did give me a file folder full of maintenance documents, which I am still looking through. Thank you for the information....Mike
The letters marked on the cylinder head protrusion are AMU. Does that help anybody, on identifying what my car has? There is also a K&N air filter that is visible, from the top(Not one of my favorite mods). Other than that, the only thing different, that I have found from my friend's stock car, is mine doesn't have a soft limiter, at the engine red line. I kind of wish it had, because it takes your attention from the road, constantly watching the tachometer fly past the safe zone. There is also a boost vacuum gauge mounted in the far left vent, in the dash. At idle, it has a smooth 20 inches of vacuum, and when accelerating the boost never goes past 20 PSI, before the blow off valve releases pressure. It has drilled and slotted rotors, with 255 40 ZR 17 BF Goodrich tyres mounted on silver BBS wheels, with Audi center caps. The wheels seem to have a nonstock offset, because the tyres come out to the edge of the fenders. It has Neuspeed struts at all the corners. For some reason the dome light doesn't come on, when the driver's door is opened, so any suggestions for that problem would be appreciated, because I can't locate a switch for the dome lights, in the door openings...Thanks for any help you can offer.....Mike
Old 10-24-2018, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts

Read this FAQ for US production but it should still provide useful info for you. https://forums.fourtitude.com/showth...44-Audi-TT-FAQ
Old 10-24-2018, 05:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you.........Mike