TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Noob questions.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob questions.

Back again for round two of noob questions regarding a new to me 04 1.8 base model. I apologize in advance for any redundancy, as I assure you I did acquaint myself with and use the search function, but didn't find any recent info.

1. On the convertible top, even though it is securely latched into place, the top latch light still illuminates on the dash. Is this something anyone else has experienced and knows how to correct?

2. The screws that hold the plastic battery cover down...where can you get those? I have looked a lot of places to no avail.

3. The factory Bose radio is pretty anemic. Has anyone upgraded theirs successfully, and did you have any issues with wiring regarding the connection to the driver's info screen on the dash?

4. Lastly, who would you recommend for a tune/chip to squeeze a bit more out of the otherwise stock engine?

Thanks to anyone and everyone for the help and info. I owe you a beverage of your choice.
Old 06-28-2019, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

2. Dealer. $8.00 US each
4. Unitronic is who my son used for his '03 225 hp engine.
Old 06-28-2019, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks, Mister. I figured the dealer would have those. I guess 8 bucks a piece it is.
Old 06-28-2019, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts

1. Very common problem with the microswitch in the latch above the driver side. You can replace the switch, bend the parts a bit, glue a little plastic to the present switch face, or just ignore it.
4. The Mk 1 TT has to be one of the most heavily tuned cars ever in the Audi line. Can't believe you found nothing on tuning performance and recommendations of the many tunes available with an internet search.
Old 06-28-2019, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Rufus,
1 Your windows are also likely a 1/4" down from the full up position as well if the top light is still illuminated on your dash.
The convertible top latch sensor (for closed position) which is located in the driver side top latch catch has either gone bad or is poorly adjusted.
When the top is down, If you peek into this DS latch catch receptacle you can see this top "closed" sensor. this sensor gets pushed to the right by the curved latch "hook" of the top as you turn the latch handle.

Try this: With the Driver window down, ignition on and the top up, try rapping the top close to where it meets the windshield frame over to the right, lightly with your hand. The convertible top light should go out and the windows should come up the final 1/4 inch.
You are trying to shift the front latches of the top SLIGHTLY to the right to make better contact with the top closed sensor.
Regards
Tbruz

Last edited by tbruz; 06-28-2019 at 06:01 PM.
Old 06-28-2019, 11:19 PM
lkb
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Convertible top

Originally Posted by rufus neckbone
Back again for round two of noob questions regarding a new to me 04 1.8 base model. I apologize in advance for any redundancy, as I assure you I did acquaint myself with and use the search function, but didn't find any recent info.

1. On the convertible top, even though it is securely latched into place, the top latch light still illuminates on the dash. Is this something anyone else has experienced and knows how to correct?

2. The screws that hold the plastic battery cover down...where can you get those? I have looked a lot of places to no avail.

3. The factory Bose radio is pretty anemic. Has anyone upgraded theirs successfully, and did you have any issues with wiring regarding the connection to the driver's info screen on the dash?

4. Lastly, who would you recommend for a tune/chip to squeeze a bit more out of the otherwise stock engine?

Thanks to anyone and everyone for the help and info. I owe you a beverage of your choice.

HI!

1. Just had the same thing happen to my top and got lucky. Local classic car restorer knew what it was and in two
minutes fixed it by pulling out thin white foam piece that day dislodged or broke off from where hooks of roof latch then inserting something (think a piece of tape) back in following other side which wasn’t broken.
The following users liked this post:
rufus neckbone (06-30-2019)
Old 06-30-2019, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by tbruz
Rufus,
1 Your windows are also likely a 1/4" down from the full up position as well if the top light is still illuminated on your dash.
The convertible top latch sensor (for closed position) which is located in the driver side top latch catch has either gone bad or is poorly adjusted.
When the top is down, If you peek into this DS latch catch receptacle you can see this top "closed" sensor. this sensor gets pushed to the right by the curved latch "hook" of the top as you turn the latch handle.

Try this: With the Driver window down, ignition on and the top up, try rapping the top close to where it meets the windshield frame over to the right, lightly with your hand. The convertible top light should go out and the windows should come up the final 1/4 inch.
You are trying to shift the front latches of the top SLIGHTLY to the right to make better contact with the top closed sensor.
Regards
Tbruz

Thanks for the info. I believe you are correct, as you mentioned about the microswitch in the latch itself. However, the windows are actually going up and down normally like they do whenever you open the door and shut it with the top up. I am guessing in that case, the switch itself has gone bad.

I am sure that switch is probably something only a dealer may have, which means $$$. I will look around some more first but may have to resort to that. It looks like the previous owner tried placing some type of black putty or something in there to fix it. Who knows.

Thanks again for the help.
Old 06-30-2019, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Vegas-roadster
1. Very common problem with the microswitch in the latch above the driver side. You can replace the switch, bend the parts a bit, glue a little plastic to the present switch face, or just ignore it.
4. The Mk 1 TT has to be one of the most heavily tuned cars ever in the Audi line. Can't believe you found nothing on tuning performance and recommendations of the many tunes available with an internet search.
Thanks for the info. I am going to try to finagle the switch as much as possible, and if all else fails, just buy a new one.

I did see plenty of info regarding tunes on the internet, but wanted to get some recommendations from folks who have actually used some of the myriad available companies. Have you done anything to your car such as a tune or new exhaust/intake, etc.?
Old 06-30-2019, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by rufus neckbone
I did see plenty of info regarding tunes on the internet, but wanted to get some recommendations from folks who have actually used some of the myriad available companies. Have you done anything to your car such as a tune or new exhaust/intake, etc.?
Yes. We all have. My coupe is APR 93 with 3” downpipe, hi flow cat, and Borla cat back. Very mild tuning wise but it is way quicker than my totally stock roadster. It was tuned at APR way back in 2004. Note that the additional air flow and boost pressure of a tune can reveal maintenance needs like boost leaks, marginal diverter valves, mass air flow sensors etc. Just do a bunch of reading of old posts before you decide.
Old 06-30-2019, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

New switch, $90.00 delivered to your door, Ebay item 392128026407
Tbruz
The following users liked this post:
rufus neckbone (06-30-2019)

Quick Reply: Noob questions.