TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

A note from an 'Old Timer', some of you here can relate I'm sure.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A note from an 'Old Timer', some of you here can relate I'm sure.

Some of you will remember this, and some are too young. These things are TRUE.

"Hey Dad," my kid asked the other day, "What was your favorite fast food when you were growing up? " "We didn't have fast food when I was growing up," I informed her. "All the food was slow."

"C'mon, seriously. Where did you eat ?"

"It was a place called 'at home,'" I explained. "Grandma cooked every day and when Grandpa got home from work, we sat down together at the dining room table, and if I didn't like what she put on my plate I was allowed to sit there until I did like it."

By this time, the kid was laughing so hard I was afraid she was going to suffer serious internal damage, so I didn't tell her the part about how I had to have permission to leave the table. But here are some other things I would have told her about my childhood if I figured her system could have handled it:

Some parents NEVER owned their own house, wore Levis, set foot on a golf course, traveled out of the country or had a credit card. In their later years they had something called a revolving charge card. The card was good only at Sears Roebuck. Or maybe it was Sears AND Roebuck. Either way, there is no Roebuck anymore. Maybe he died.

My parents never drove me to soccer practice. This was mostly because we never had heard of soccer. I had a bicycle that weighed probably 50 pounds, and only had one speed, (slow). We didn't have a television in our house until I was 11, but my grandparents had one before that. It was, of course, black and white, but they bought a piece of colored plastic to cover the screen. The top third was blue, like the sky, and the bottom third was green, like grass. The middle third was red. It was perfect for programs that had scenes of fire trucks riding across someone's lawn on a sunny day. Some people had a lens taped to the front of the TV to make the picture look larger.
I was 13 before I tasted my first pizza, it was called "pizza pie." When I bit into it, I burned the roof of my mouth and the cheese slid off, swung down, plastered itself against my chin and burned that, too. It's still the best pizza I ever had.

We didn't have a car until I was 15. Before that, the only car in our family was my grandfather's Ford. He called it a "machine."

I never had a telephone in my room. The only phone in the house was in the living room and it was on a party line. Before you could dial, you had to listen and make sure some people you didn't know weren't already using the line.

Pizzas were not delivered to our home. But milk was.

All newspapers were delivered by boys and all boys delivered newspapers. I delivered a newspaper, six days a week. It cost 7 cents a paper, of which I got to keep 2 cents. I had to get up at 4 AM every morning.. On Saturday, I had to collect the 42 cents from my customers. My favorite customers were the ones who gave me 50 cents and told me to keep the change. My least favorite customers were the ones who seemed to never be home on collection day.

Movie stars kissed with their mouths shut. At least, they did in the movies. Touching someone else's tongue with yours was called French kissing and they didn't do that in movies. I don't know what they did in French movies. French movies were dirty and we weren't allowed to see them.

If you grew up in a generation before there was fast food, you may want to share some of these memories with your children or grandchildren.. Just don't blame me if they bust a gut laughing.

Growing up isn't what it used to be, is it?
Old 04-25-2008, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Which begs the question.....>>

Whatever happened to Roebuck?
Old 04-25-2008, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ................hmmmmmm.............

"Alvah Roebuck returned to his desk at company headquarters in Chicago, where he enthusiastically assumed the task of compiling a corporate history until his death on June 18, 1948, aged 84."<ul><li><a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alvah_C._Roebuck">here</a></li></ul>
Old 04-25-2008, 07:54 AM

A $1.00 Store??? Remember the 5&amp;dime ?
Old 04-25-2008, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

i like that. thanks for the laff
Old 04-25-2008, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He and Sears sold the business and moved to Florida to live with Bob...:-)
Old 04-25-2008, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Remember Gas wars and when the first McDonalds arrived in your town?
Old 04-25-2008, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default My dad told me

that he was so poor as a kid they couldn't afford socks, so they took coal and rubbed their ankles black so maybe no one would notice!
Old 04-25-2008, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

uh...
Old 04-25-2008, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I guess I'm only a medium timer

We had fast food, but it was called "Burger Chef" and we got to go there as a treat about once a month. We kids all marveled at the fact that McDonalds had sold "Over One Million" burgers.

I still think that the loss of jobs to kids, specifically paper routes to pre-teens and good old landscaping and ditch-digging jobs for teens is one of the problems with "kids today".

Quick Reply: A note from an 'Old Timer', some of you here can relate I'm sure.